Take Back Santa Cruz: Friday Night 01/21/2011

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Motech, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Motech

Motech Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    For local (Santa Cruz) riders, please consider joining me and our fellow community members in the one hour "Positive Loitering" event.

Take Back Santa Cruz is truly a grassroots community effort to address and reduce crime in our city. This event will be held at the corner of Ocean and Franklin Streets Friday, January 21 2011 from 6:30 to 7:30 PM.

Please see attached flyer.

Thank you.

http://www.takebacksantacruz.com/

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=189308553419&ref=ts

Attached Files:

2. Vegun

Vegun Don of the Suckmob

Name:
    Mike
    I'll be in the Desert but flash your tits for me StevO!

3. zatoichi

zatoichi Still not grown up

Name:
    Len
    That vid is sad.
    I'm all for cleaning up our town, although it's gonna be one long battle!

Hope to see you on Friday.

4. Arzonist

Arzonist Emotionally Dsyfunctional

Name:
    Jay
    I'm all for cleaning up the streets and trying to ensure that buisnesses thrive but what exactly is the plan for these obvious in need of help homeless people? Just force them to pack up and move somewhere else where they can be a nuisance there?

Don't get me wrong I understand the sentiment and frustration of the community that has to deal with this sort of stuff but the bigger problem IMHO is the sometimes lack of empathy for those that are in that situation. Am I saying let them stay where they're at out of feeling bad for them, absolutely not! But if the plan is to just gather up citizens to turn into bullies forcing people with real problems to pack up and hit the bricks then I think this idea is misguided and lacks any sort of actual thought or compassion.

Is there a plan for where these people are to go live out their lives or is it just "get the hell out of her you stinking drug using bums. You're a constant reminder of just how much our country has failed you and I can't stand the fact that I have to be reminded of just how little we care about our fellow Americans" Because if that's the case then you definitely wont see me out there taking part in this witch hunt.

Sorry I'm not trying to rain on your parade or piss you off Steve but a person is a person whether they run a buisness, are there for tourism or addicted to drugs. I don't believe in stomping on people simply because they make me uncomfortable.

5. Motech

Motech Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Jay, Take Back Santa Cruz does not harbor or promote an anti-homeless agenda in any way. Rather, it is a group of citizens tired of the escalating crime in our community, specifically gang violence and blatant drug dealing--hardcore drugs, not pot. Furthermore, there is no vigilante element in any of their endeavors, in fact just the opposite. TBSC stresses nonviolence and non-confrontational activities, and enjoys total, unequivocal support from SCPD and all city leaders. Their aim is to provide a positive community presence in troubled neighborhoods, parks and public access areas where fear and intimidation by unsavory elements are compromising the quality of our daily lives. That presence along with photographs and calls to authorities make a huge difference. We also organize community cleanup efforts of public places like Pogonip open space preserve, San Lorenzo River levee areas, Lighthouse Field, various cemeteries, etc. where illicit drug activity has infested.

I can see where the impression of vigilantism can be easy to presume by the name Take Back Santa Cruz alone, but that's not the case. Sure, these issues promote frustration and a little anger too, but the impetus for this group is love of community, the sorrow for the friends and families of our children who have been needlessly slaughtered on our streets, and the frustration with a municipal inability to do much about it. It really is friends and neighbors accepting their responsibility to contribute to the stability of their hometown, a resource for police and the courts, not a substitute.

Check out some of the links in OP above for more details. And thank you for your thoughtful input Jay. I know you don't live here, but if you did, I think you'd be involved with TBSC too. :thumbup

6. Arzonist

Name:
    Jay
    I get what you are saying and it certainly seems there isn't any malace to what you guys are doing but I'm just concerned about what the plan is for the shewed away homeless people? I watched the video which I understand probably doesn't give the gravity of the situation complete justice and I feel for those that have to deal with constant violence but the video seemed clearly aimed at the homeless addicts. But being you don't come across as a person without feelings or empathy I will take your word for it that this movement isn't as I previously described.

I'd be happy to take part in it being I do have family that lives there but I want to make sure that the whole thing has been thought out with all sides including those that are homeless are being considered.

7. Motech

Motech Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    No animosity or actions toward homeless individuals exists in TBCS's mission or activities. However, if gang or drug dealing criminals affected by this group also happen to be homeless, they may have to deal with law enforcement and the courts as well. If so, it's not because they're homeless. It's because they're engaging in openly criminal activity. Frankly though, there never is any negative or unlawful activity at these positive loitering events. They are well publicized; positive participants, law enforcement, the local media and local politicians are about the only folks who show up.

To be honest, I have not viewed the video. In the various other TBSC events I have been involved in, the only homeless connection has been some of the cleanup we've done, which has not involved campsites or any individuals themselves. It has been the cleanup of litter, much if it used and discarded drug contraband. No distinction of who left it behind is really possible, and homeless volunteers consistently participate too.

TBSC is not a homeless advocacy group, nor should they be. I am involved with a couple other local groups where homelessness is a cause along with child abuse and neglect and other women/children causes, but TBSC is not one of them. Criminal activity and restoring the safety of public lands is the focus. To my knowledge, there is no community service organization in Santa Cruz that targets the homeless as a social problem, though there are many that advocate for solutions to the social problems of homelessness in our community.

See you Friday Jay. I'll probably be the only bearded guy there in riding gear. :cool

8. Neepuk

Neepuk Going, Going, Gone

Name:
    Chris
    Hey Steve, thanks for the heads-up. I don't check in on Facebook enough to keep up withall the TBSC events.

In, but if Mike invites me to the desert I might not make it....:cool

9. Arzonist

Name:
    Jay
    I don't want to beat a dead horse here being both you and Steve have clarified that my assumptions are misplaced... Ok I'll just say it.. wrong lol. It's just that some people view the homeless as the problem in society and not society itself that has allowed this to happen. But hey this isn't an event or a thread debating the homeless situation so I'll drop it.

Thanks to both of you for clarifying things for me. I just like to be informed of all that are affected when I take part in something like this. I've found myself too many times attending something that was under the guise of community building when all it really was, was a" we hate these people" event and we're banding together to get rid of them.

Just wanted to make sure that wasn't the case here. So thanks again for setting me straight.

10. Motech

Motech Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Hey Chris, hope to see you there again. :thumbup

11. Motech

Motech Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    No problem Jay, I always appreciate your thoughtful insight and perceptions, and if this thread is not a suitable theater for this type of discussion, then what the hell is?

I know what you mean though, there can be unsavory social or racial undercurrents in many community service groups, and it is not pretty, especially when they try to validate it with "good intent". And I admit, perceived undercurrents could be presumed within TBSC too. Many members knew innocent local victims very well and still are grieving their murders. This group would love to eradicate the Santa Cruz gang presence, and some try to paint that as racist. Whaddya do? One of these thugs opened fire on my son and his friends, he felt the heat of the slug as it narrowly missed his leg while he was running for his life. That guy got away, returned a month later and shot one of his targets in open daylight in the street, then vanished. I am betting any father would return fire in the deadliest sense if present in such a situation, and the color of the murderous thugs skin or his residential and social status would be totally unworthy of consideration.

Dunno where I'm going with this, but if you need a reason to disagree with TBSC, I'm your best one, and I'm not even a "member" per se. There are members who have suffered great loss at the hands of local street gangs, far greater than I or my family, but none of them have ever publicly voiced anything that suggests violent or vengeful solutions toward anybody. I guess I'm trying to say I do not believe these people harbor any unsavory notions beneath the surface of their public image and mission. They are all better folks than I.

12. ian408

ian408 Out here

As a visitor to SC, I can say that at times, the place is down right uncomfortable to be in so with regard to cleaning that up, I'm all for that.

I believe the problem isn't just the criminal element but also the aggressive panhandlers who spend their days and evenings on the streets.

There's no easy answer to the problem of homelessness but something needs to be done about the aggressive nature some of those panhandling on the streets (not to mention the rather blatant drug use that occurs in some areas).

13. dirtrich

dirtrich Active Member

Name:
    Dave
    Motech, thanks for the heads-up. I've been trying to make myself attend one of those events for quite some time.....this might just be the one.
    In my 50-plus years here I have watched our beloved town go through many, many changes. All of them for the worse. I hope nobody is offended by my saying it.:(

14. Motech

Motech Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Dave, I look forward to meeting you. This is me, please introduce yourself. :)

SA cropped.jpg

15. Arzonist

Name:
    Jay
    I hate to try and continue to debate the homeless issue because I feel like I'm negating the real tragedies families have suffered due to the gang violence which I hope Steve and everyone else knows I am not. I'd be right on the forefront ready to execute anyone that tried to harm my children in that way but I guess before I engage in anymore debate could you clarify what is meant by aggressive panhandling? Are they forcibly trying to ask for money? Are they holding people at gun or knife point asking for money or is it just the typical standing with a sign asking for help? I just want to be clear what we are talking about here.