Moab April 2014

Discussion in 'Pictures' started by eroseme, Apr 21, 2014.

1. eroseme

eroseme Orange is the new Red

Name:
    Eric
    Yesterday was Sovereign Trail day. We parked at Dalton Wells and took a few passes at stuff to get warmed up, then did the Blue Loop from top to bottom. We were out for 4 hours and did 22 miles - hahahahahaha. Canadians have invaded Moab and most of the people we talk to are Canadian. So we talked to a couple of groups today that accounted for about 45 minutes, and then this doofus mountain biker who was lost and I spent about 20 minutes coaching him on what to and he did not listen to one word. Hahahaha.

This is my favorite corner on Motherload:

MotherLoop.jpg

Check out this slot:

BlueLoop1.jpg

Funny that it's just low enough to get the bars over. if you had a lower moto it would not fit:

BlueLoop2.jpg

Same section but the look is so cool:

BlueLoop4.jpg

BlueLoop3.jpg

2. eroseme

Name:
    Eric
    Here are a few random pics. The day was so awesome, where the other days this week have all been messed up weather.

BlueLoop5.jpg

BlueLoop6.jpg

This one is so neat because you can see the trail looping back and forth below. it seems they tag "Extremely Difficult" if there are switchbacks on a steep.

BlueLoop7.jpg

BlueLoop8.jpg

Now is maybe my favorite segment of the entire trip. It's called Terry's Tunnel and is very short. You ride through this tunnel thing which is a great photo op, but the cool thing is that you ride down this rock-carved creekbed and then drop off this unride-able dropoff with a switchback. I was laughing at how hard but cool it was, and totally wanted to do it again but was way too tired and beat up.

TerrysTunnel.jpg

3. never2old

never2old I'm 75 until I put my helmet on...

Name:
    Gary
    Yep that is a fun trail for sure Eric :ride Thanks again for the pictures :thumbup

4. eroseme

Name:
    Eric
    We rode MTB at Klondike Bluffs today - a new purpose-built MTB area. Incredible place:

MTBKlondike1.jpg

5. Andy

Andy Wheelie for Safety

Name:
    Andy
    Eric, how do you compare riding a dirt bike at Moab, compared to a mountain bike?

6. eroseme

Name:
    Eric
    Dan and I were talking about that all week. He is a top notch bicyclist, and for him MTBing is more comfortable: obviously the weight, power delivery, and he is used to the braking. I am for more comfortable on a moto. I want a rear foot brake when on the MTB because sometimes it's hard to hold the bars and brake when the suspension is working. I have no problem with the brake sides swapping. The 13" suspension front and rear is huge for me - I'll take on way more knowing that I can survive it on the moto. The moto riding position is much more comfortable for me. Even the 29" MTB relaxed riding position is too much like a sport bike, and my neck and shoulders are paralyzed with pain after 2.5 hours (the Porcupine Rim ride was 4 hours and the ride into town was torture). Dan likes the flexibility to pick up the bike and walk down an obstacle if it's nasty. On a moto you gotta either plan farther ahead or assume more risk - no picking up the bike.

Sidebar: A couple of times this week I tried to shift the brake lever. Funny that the brain from 40 years ago still makes a Bultaco random synapse on the old path.

Andy likes this.
  7. mightslip

mightslip Registered slow poke

Name:
    Mike
    Looks like you guys are getting to enjoy all moab has to offer... :rad

8. eroseme

Name:
    Eric
    It does not get old at all. I kinda wanted to do White Rim again this week - as you know, you just go the opposite way and it's all brand new! Hahahaha. Maybe in the fall or next April. Too bad the older I get the longer recovery time between efforts - I would stuff each day completely full.

9. eroseme

Name:
    Eric
    Boo hoo - gotta leave to come back:

BooHoo.jpg

10. suzbandit987

suzbandit987 Stop stalking me

Name:
    J
    Did you camp? If so, where at?

11. never2old

Name:
    Gary
    Thanks for the thread Eric I truly enjoyed your pictures and comments :clapping

eroseme and Andy like this.
  12. eroseme

Name:
    Eric
    Nope - I stay at my sister's house on Kane Creek. Ultimate location! It's a rental, so PM me if you wanna lookit the url.

cykoklr likes this.
  13. Curt

Curt Certifiable

Name:
    Curt
    Thanks Eric, great photos!

Now that I have 150-mile range, I want to get back and do the 130-mile loop out Kane Springs to Lockhart to 211 to 191. Is that the trail to Canyonlands Needles?

eroseme and Andy like this.
  14. eroseme

Name:
    Eric
    Yep - that's it. I'll post up my .gpx later. At 42 or 43 the fun road connects with a graded road - like the miserable Mineral Springs road that is just heinous if you're doing White Rim clockwise (12 miles of flat when you are totally beat). When I did White Rim on MTBs (1995) that was torture. Anyway, Lockhart turns to a road like that to 211. We were both pretty tired by that point so instead of continuing on to the Needles store (which may have been closed because it was Easter Sunday), we turned around - saving us from 34 miles (17 each way) of graded road and possibly being stiffed on gas (we still would have made it there and back on one tank though). We were just gonna retrace our route - not ride the road back on 191. Hmmmmm - that is probably considerably longer.

In 2009 we trailered our motos down to Needles and rode around for 140 miles. The 525 made it on one tank - barely! Here is a view from the Needles Overlook and the canyon with Lockhart Basin Road visible at the bottom (from 2009).

LockhartFromNeedles.jpg

cykoklr and Andy like this.
  15. Andy

Andy Wheelie for Safety

Name:
    Andy
    Such an amazing area.

Thank you.

16. suzbandit987

Name:
    J
    I cannot wait to retire!

17. never2old

Name:
    Gary
    Be careful don't wish your life away you may never make it or be old like most of us that do, take time to enjoy yourself now.

18. suzbandit987

Name:
    J
    Oh I do, I've been on ~ 15 moto-vacations since 2010, but I just want to be on a permanent moto-vacation.

19. never2old

Name:
    Gary
    Good for you it sounds like you're on the right track already.

20. suzbandit987

Name:
    J
    It's never enough though, is it?