Where to buy this type of foam?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Repair' started by mbeers6, Dec 24, 2016.

1. mbeers6

mbeers6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    mark
    I was giving these piece of foam from another member on this board years ago to prevent water from coming up the drain on my KTM's airbox.

Now I want to add the same thing to my other bike but I can't seem to find something similar at the big box stores, Michael's, etc. Any ideas?

uc?export=download&id=0B2S8pMalzAWLMkZodDJXX21FNEk.jpg

2. JayInMilpitas

JayInMilpitas Public spectacle

Name:
    Jay
    Not sure how that keeps water out. Looks like the debris filter media in our decorative pond pump. It's not much different from Scotchbrite pad.

Maybe ask at a pool supply place? Can you just roll up a piece of Scotchbrite pad?

3stripes likes this.
  3. JohnCocktosten

JohnCocktosten putting it on the Underhills account since '74

Name:
    Josè
    JayInMilpitas likes this.
  4. mbeers6

Name:
    mark
    I actually want to use it to keep dust out on the new bike, but you have a good point about the water. I think it's used to let water drain out of the airbox but not let dust in.

5. Brian300

Brian300 Everyday is a new day

Name:
    Brian
  6. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

I've seen the exact type of foam, used in a product that I saw at the Los Gatos Ace Hardware store, Los Gatos Blvd, that is used to keep leaves from falling into a gutter.

I think you can get a giant piece of it for about $5. About 4x5x48".

By the way, there is also this guy in Palo Alto. I doubt he would have this on hand, but most likely knows where to get it.

http://www.houseoffoam.net/

JayInMilpitas and Rex like this.
  7. mbeers6

Name:
    mark
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up buying some skid plate foam and it worked perfectly as I have some extra material :thumbup