Polaris cancels Victory motorcycle program

Discussion in 'General' started by John, Jan 9, 2017.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

How about that...

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/company/article/victory-motorcycles-important-announcement

2. RobertHaas

RobertHaas Gone to Facebook

Name:
    Robert
    Frankly, I am surprised they hung on as long as they did.

Tim and cheez like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Wheelie for Safety

Name:
    Andy
    Wow that's too bad.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Hopefully they will turn some of those resources on improving their POS fleet-wide ATV's. I don't think there's a brand made that has more in for service on any given day.

looper likes this.
  5. cheez

cheez Master of the Darkside

Name:
    cheez
    Also unsurprised. Indian isn't long for this world either unless they can get their sales volumes up.

6. Grumbler

Grumbler Kalifas Expat

Name:
    Graeme
    Polaris says Victory motorcycle sales peaked in 2012 but has steadily declined since. Victory sales represented only 3% of Polaris’ total sales revenue in 2015 with dealers on average only selling about 20 motorcycles a year. The brand has only drawn a profit in two of the last five years. Victory’s decline mirrored the rise of Indian Motorcycle which Polaris purchased in 2011. While Victory sales dropped, Indian’s sales have grown. Polaris sees greater growth potential in Indian, resulting in the decision to focus the company’s resources on a single motorcycle brand. Polaris says it will dedicate more money into research and development on Indian as well as its Slingshot brand.

Geoff likes this.
  7. John

John Well-Known Member

Methinks they need to focus on their simply awful ATV's. They sell well since they are cheap, but need constant care to keep them moving. They're the joke of the ATV world.

looper and Tim like this.
  8. CaptRon

CaptRon Love To Watch The Trains!!!

Name:
    Ron
    I have a soft spot for the discontinued Kingpin Tourer model. I have always liked the Victory bikes myself. Hate to see them go, but understand it's business.

9. bmwbob51

bmwbob51 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Know when to hold them, know when to fold them.

brokenglass likes this.
  10. BorderlandBiker

BorderlandBiker da 'dude' abides

With the number of Police Department bids they're winning from cities across America I'm surprised the 'stockholders' are letting management fold up the tent??? I know this is in the 'woulda shoulda coulda category BUTT 'coulda' court rule Polaris is NOT :idunno acting in a responsible/fiduciary manner and appoint a trusty trustee to manage Polaris ????...awooooooooooooooo PEACE :ride SAFE

11. Motech

Motech Mr. Logorrhoea

Name:
    Steve
    Tag Derrel. As the second Victory rider I know, and the only one I've ridden with, you're it.

I'm pretty bummed myself. I feel Victory engineered and developed some fine machines.

When I was seeking a two-up ride Pretty Wife could join me on six years back, the divisive Vision Tour was very appealling. Closest dealer then was Livermore or San Fran, and Ernie @fonseca beat them to the local punch with a killer deal on a BMW R1200RT. Though that bike was perfect for us then, and we shared a lot of happy saddle time on that machine together, the cumbersome height became too much for her disability to overcome. She officially "retired" pillion when she could no longer mount up with me, and I sold it two years ago.

I regret not buying that Vision. I'm convinced a low-slung bagger would have extended her pillion days in comfort a bit longer, and she may even still sit behind me today.

Polaris' recent commitment to shift the Victory brand over to a more sporting, performance focus was exciting to me. I was particularly stoked on the new water-cooled twin developed for Scout, and daydreaming of a proper, performance ST model to fill that American gap between Motus and nothing. And, of course, with Polaris acquisition of trendy, overkill Klim moto-fashions, an equally trendy SUV--err, ADV bike was surely in the works foremost, right?

Too bad. Where promises of legitimate enthusiasts USA choice dangled so close, it disappoints we just get another Harley Come Lately to snooze over.

Maybe they've got another lil surprise up their chaps. Maybe Erik Buell still has that righteous shot.

Or more likely, with the Victory team focus turned over to the recently acquired electric Brammo line, Zero will soon be compelled to step it up or step off.

NeverSatisfied likes this.
  12. John

John Well-Known Member

Police sales are very low margin deals- BMW has put a ton of price pressure with the newest "just add gas" introduction.

13. bmwbob51

bmwbob51 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob

While I was selling Victories, sales were extremely slow and units seemed to move only when prices were reduced dramatically on a given unit! The Indian's outsold them nearly 5 to 1 at a minimum.

14. afmoto

afmoto ...

Name:
    Alex
    Not really that surprised. I briefly looked at them over the years and I'm pretty sure they never quite figured out what the hell they wanted to be. More recently, some of them seemed to be a sort of HD restomod gone horribly bad and also a few huge touring bikes, but without the pedigree of a Goldwing or a BMW. Maybe some people really liked them, I just never found a compelling reason to own one.

I think Indian is next. Ironically, the Gilroy era Indians were kind of cool and definitely had personality, but the new Polaris era Indians seem to be kind of a futuristic version that mostly reminds me of Jumba Jookiba from Lilo & Stitch! :smilewink

latest?cb=20150618093121

15. Logan

Logan On Vacation

Name:
    Logan
    Polaris put the "UG" in Ugly with these bikes. :2cents

Vision_ANess_12_Pr_R6_61.jpg

Indian is following in the same path.

2017-Indian-Chieftain-1.jpg

Gordo and afmoto like this.
  16. Motech

Motech Mr. Logorrhoea

Name:
    Steve
    This little teaser had me intrigued:

victory-156.jpg

Then this:

victory-motorcycles-01bw.jpg
    Guess they answered their own question:

Victory-Zero-TT-bike-stolen-770x4931.jpg

072915top-i.jpg

072815-2016-victory-empulse-tt-dsc_1497-2.jpg

BorderlandBiker likes this.
  17. BorderlandBiker

BorderlandBiker da 'dude' abides

Roland Sands (one of Discovery Channel's Great Biker Build-Off winners) recently built a Victory for the 'Pikes Peak' Race...I believe one of the editors from CYCLE WORLD Magazine rode it....He said it could realeeeeeeee scoot UNTIL he crashed it (he blamed the crash on himself) AND the Victory 106ci motor is the ONLY motor I know of that is CARB certified with the Cobra exhaust...My guess is someone will BUY the Victory Division of Polaris...(that's unless Polaris plays 'The Dog in the Manger' and dismantle it sooooooo it won't compete with INDIAN....)...awooooooooo

cheez likes this.
  18. gino831

gino831 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Gene

Klim is really big in apparel for the snow mobile rider. I'm wondering if they will drop out of the motorcycle world.

19. Motech

Motech Mr. Logorrhoea

Name:
    Steve
    I doubt it. Indian made the big splash Victory never could in their pursuit of deep-wallet access to the Harley consumer base. They're finally knocking on The Company's door.

Their Brammo acquisition is timed to keep Harley in their sights. With everyone raving over the (relative) brilliance of HD's E-bike prototype, I have to wonder if turning their focus unto those brave new markets triggered the Victory death knell. From a visionary shareholder context, it's not about just keeping up with the Davidsons. They have a headstart to world racing championship dominance as the first major player in the PC friendly realm of clean and silent electric motorbike racing poised to eliminate IC bike racing.

gino831 likes this.
  20. gino831

gino831 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Gene

While I believe that the above statement makes way too much sense. The one emotional issue that electrical race vehicles will need to over come will be noise, or the lack of it. Turn the sound down on any racing and generally it is MUCH less interesting. Not that they can't be fast enough to be of interest, it just lacks the visceral attraction. As a second example come and watch an air race at Reno, while they last. The jets are fast, very fast, but watching the crowd, they are not as interested as when any of the recips are running.