Sunday's Big Sur ride

Discussion in 'Pictures' started by BlueBuellFool, Nov 7, 2005.

1. BlueBuellFool

BlueBuellFool Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tim
    **ALL DONE** Except for maybe some minor editing and correcting spelling errors.:redface

What a fantastic day of riding in the Big Sur/Los Padres National Forest area.

The miles (for me): 353.6
    The time: 13 hours
    The route: Monterey Hwy, Bailey, McKean, Uvas, Watsonville, Redwood Retreat, Mt Modanna (somehow we got to Elkhorn), Hwy. 1, Old Coast Road (dirt), Hwy. 1 (60 miles south), Nacimiento Furgusson (1/2 dirt), South Coast Ridge Road(dirt), Los Burros(dirt), Willow Creek(dirt), Hwy. 1 home.

OK, let's get to the pictures.:nerd

Uvas Road around 7:30am.
    A.jpg

Redwood Retreat.
    We saw some big ol' turkeys out there.:tongue
    B.jpg

Greg on the dirt portion of Redood Retreat.
    Sorry about the lack of focus.
    C.jpg

The group at the top of RWR.
    (possibly the most over-photographed tree on the board):tongue
    D.jpg

Just look at that perfect posture... What form.. What control. What grace. What.....:lol (jk)
    I'm not sure where this was taken.. Castroville maybe.
    E.jpg

2. BlueBuellFool

Name:
    Tim
    The bikes at Elkhorn Slough.
    F.jpg

OK, I'm only including this picture (taken across from the slough) because we were all speculating as to why they place this "stuff" over the field/crop.. Anyone have the answer??:tongue
    G.jpg

AndyH somewhere on Hwy. 1
    H.jpg

Greg (Stugots) in Carmel. There were some incredible houses along there $$$
    I.jpg

I like to call this picture "What the hell are you doing, Andy?!?!"
    At one point he was standing up on the railing! Passing motorists thought he was a jumper.:lol
    I kid you not! See where his hands are placed?? He was standing there!!!:(
    J.jpg

3. BlueBuellFool

Name:
    Tim
    This is where we ran into Bob/h20pumper. The start of the OCR, and a good thing we did, too.:bounce
    N.jpg

Bob/h20 on Old Coast Road.
    This is a great road and one you should definately ride/drive if you get the chance.. It goes back and forth from out in the open to heavy woods and is great fun to ride.:clapping
    O.jpg

More OCR.
    This would be the out in the open part I mentioned..:smilewink
    P.jpg

After they left I found some harder ground that I hoped wouldn't leave my bike on its side and grabbed this shot of the Pacific.
    Q.jpg

4. BlueBuellFool

Name:
    Tim
    Back on Hwy. 1 for the 60 mile run to Nacimiento Furgusson Road and much, much more dirt fun.
    Though we were on dualsports and looking for dirt, Hwy. 1 down south is so much fun to ride.:ride Beautiful views and countless twists and turns keep you entertained for hours.:)
    R.jpg

Along the way we stopped to check out the brilliantly colored water.
    S.jpg

The start of Nacimiento.
    Left to right: AndyH (AndyH) Bob (h20pumper) Eric (EricB.) Greg (Stugots).
    T.jpg

Doesn't it look like Greg is making a BMW commercial?:laughing
    Nacimiento is paved for about a mile in the middle, then returns to dirt.
    U.jpg

5. BlueBuellFool

Name:
    Tim
    This turn would prove to be our best decision of the day. This is the intersection of Nacimiento Furgusson and South Coast Ridge Road..
    Originally we were going to go straight on NF, but Bob convinced us that this would be more fun..... He was right.:biggrin
    V.jpg

Greg/Stugots on Nacimiento.
    W.jpg

Bob/h20pumper on NF.
    X.jpg

We took a right at a fork in the road and rode to the top of Prewitt Ridge. (A dead-end/loop).
    Bob.
    Y.jpg

Greg.
    Z.jpg

AndyH (EricB had already passed)
    ZA.jpg

6. BlueBuellFool

Name:
    Tim
    And *this* is what greeted us.:thumbup
    This flight was actually aborted.
    It seems you get the sail flying like a kite, then turn around a run like hell towards the hill.:runaway
    ZB.jpg

Run! Run! Run!:lol
    I know it looks like he's about to fall on his face, but he's not.
    ZC.jpg

That's more like it.
    ZD.jpg

This guy had better luck, too.
    I'm told that HUGE "turtle shell" looking thing is a seat/air bag for landings.
    ZE.jpg

ZF.jpg

7. BlueBuellFool

Name:
    Tim
    While watching the Para-Gliders take off, I heard from behind me some laughs of disbelief and something about a distant ridge.:idunno

When I turned around and asked Bob what he was talking about, he pointed to that peak in the top of this picture and said "that's where we're heading, and it's all dirt between here and there".:eek

Actually, to the peak, over the top, down the other side and back to Hwy. 1 is where we were heading, and it was beginning to get late. That ridge was also a couple of ridges away from us.
    ZG.jpg

And here's what the road to the peak looked like.:rad
    To be honest, I'm not sure whether these were taken on South Coast Ridge, Los Burros or Willow Creek.... There were so damn many forks in the road it was hard to keep track.. I just followed the dust cloud of whoever was in front of me. Bob was also kind enough to stop at any and all forks or intersections to point us in the right direction.:thumbup
    ZH.jpg

That's Bob on his KTM pulling up to Greg and EricB.
    Andy's was just coming up behind me, so I gassed it and took off.:biggrin
    You can see the peak we're heading for in the top left corner of this picture.
    ZI.jpg

Here's Greg's SUV.:crash
    ZJ.jpg

8. BlueBuellFool

Name:
    Tim
    Bob on the downhill ride back to Hwy. 1..
    ZK.jpg

I wish I could have taken a picture a few feet further down the road than this... The road ran straight through someone's front yard between an old tractor and their house.. (Actually "Shack" would be a better description), but two large pittbull's being restrained by a woman (described by Andy as "young but long in the tooth") kept me from lingering long enough to get any shots.
    ZL.jpg

Sunset on Hwy. 1. It was starting to get dark and we had a looooong way to go still. We were just a little north of the "Sand Dollar Picnic Area" (look on a map):laughing
    ZM.jpg

Last one... I just thought it was neat the way the water cut a hole through the rock.
    ZN.jpg

I didn't get any more after this for two reasons.
    1) It got too dark for photographs.
    2) We returned just about the same way we came, so I'd pretty much covered it.

I hope you enjoyed the pics. There's so many better ones I missed or couldn't stop for.. Just means I'll have to go back again.

-T

9. Andy

Andy Wheelie for Safety

Name:
    Andy
    Hi Tim,

Now that has got to the best picture thread you have ever created, awesome. I loved the photos and narration. Thanks for sharing your day with us, looks like so much fun.

:clapping :clapping :clapping

10. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Farmers will place plastic on the ground to heat the soil temprature and make their crops grow faster. By doing this they can get an extra crop in per year, 3 harvests instead of just 2. Great pics Tim.

11. BlueBuellFool

Name:
    Tim
    Thanks, Andy, and it only took me 4 or 5 hours to get it done.:lol

Thanks for enlightening us, Jim:thumbup

12. com3

com3 can highside a scooter

Name:
    Joe
    +1 to andy's comment. greg, did you hit the suv, or just fall down? i noticed a broken indicator.

13. Andy

Andy Wheelie for Safety

Name:
    Andy
    We appreciate your time. It takes me on average about 1-2 hours.

14. com3

com3 can highside a scooter

Name:
    Joe
    takes me about 15 mins. :biggrin then again, i'm uber lazy.

15. Stugots

Stugots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg
    Just fell down since I grabbed a handful of front brake when I saw him. Front brake + loose Dirt + Heavy GS = Waddage

16. Richard

Richard and Junice Nice

Name:
    Richard
    Nice job with the pictures Tim enjoyed then all and also the stories :thumbup Sorry to hear about (Stugots) BMW, did those side bars do there job or could they have been better built?

BlueBuellFool likes this.
  17. 3stripes

3stripes Still learning, still leaning

Thank YOu for sharing but wow..very envious of you guys great ride:rad

18. Stugots

Stugots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg
    They did there job. I guess, cyl head still scratched up, but now it looks like a GS should :thumbup

19. Richard

Richard and Junice Nice

Name:
    Richard

character marks Greg. :thumbup

20. Curt

Curt Certifiable

Name:
    Curt
    Tim, looks like a really beautiful place, particularly the dirt roads in the rolling hills, and a good time and the weather cooperated. Thanks for the pix! I am slightly reminded of my previous street-bike off-roading disaster. :)