KTM 300 EXC how is the power delivery at places like Clear Creek

Discussion in 'Dirt Riders' started by Complaine, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Complaine

Complaine New Member

This forum needs something on a lighter note, so here is one of my latest quandaries…

My question is strait forward but if you want more background on why im asking read the second paragraph. For those of you that have owned or ridden a KTM 300 exc or mxc at CC, I am wondering how the top end power feels on the long, soft loamy climbs at clear creek. You know those ones when you find yourself at the bottom of an area that looks like the Moon and its steep in all directions, and you have very little runway? Yup just center your weight bend your knees, pin it and look up up up. It is one of the few places I have had my crf450r on the stops for more than a second, so im wondering how the 300 pinger will compare?

More than needed background: The only bike I owned for a long time was my crf450r and I used it for everything mx and woods. I recently picked up a crf250r for mx because im a beginner mx’er and didn’t need the motor. This allowed me to start doing what I really wanted to the 450, big tank, bark busters, cam swap, softer suspension. But it is time for it to go. Im tired of the overheating if you don’t make a climb on the first attempt, or when I get held up in some rocks, and list goes on. It’s a great bike, but its time for something different. I learned how to ride on a 2 stroke and have always wanted to get another one because they have character, so im pretty set on the 300. I have heard nothing but good things about them, and im not looking at getting a new one, something like an 04.

Thanks for the advice

2. Andrew

Andrew registered YZer

Name:
    Andrew
    Clear Creek + KTM300 = Andy H.

He'll tell ya. :thumbup

3. Doug

Doug V4 Tuono

Name:
    Doug
    I don't think he has any trouble at all on that bike.

4. mrmike130s

mrmike130s Active Member

Name:
    Mike
    I went from an 05 525MXC to an 08 300XC, the 300 has done everything I've asked it. I hope to ride it at CCMA some day. I did a loose climb at Middle Creek with it, no trouble. I love the bike. And don't miss the 525.

5. knobbylips

knobbylips Well-Known Member

Name:
    tom
    i've heard the 300 refered to as a 3 stroke- bottom end like 4, and zingy like 2.

6. Bigblock

Bigblock Registered User

Name:
    Alex
    Man up and get a cr500! :eek

7. billgear

billgear Registered User

Name:
    Bill
    I have an 2005 KTM 450 with a 570 kit and a 2008 300 XC-W. After a few tweaks, jetting, gnarly pipe, the 300 has boatloads of easy to use grunt, almost as much as the 570. (I'm 240 pounds). I live over in Concord, your welcome to come take a rip on my 300, I would offer to meet you at carnegie but the 300 is a red sticker.

Bill

8. CVJason

CVJason Registered User

Name:
    Jason
    I rode an older, like 1995, KTM 380 2-smoker. I was very impressed by the low end power, but I don't know how that would compare to the newer 300s. I could pretty much tell that the thing was a hog when I went to kickstart it. I felt like I might lose a limb if I didn't time it right.

9. Oscar

Oscar Getting dirty

You won't have a power problem with the 300. Set up properly it rips. I can't wait to ride mine in Clear Creek.

Hey Bill, how much did the Gnarly do? My fatty is getting banged up and i've been eyeing a Gnarly as a replacement.

10. KTMJack

KTMJack Well-Known Member with a little KTM in the brain

Name:
    Jack
    Yea how is the Gnarly did it brighten up the mid i need a pipe too

11. Brian300

Brian300 Everyday is a new day

Name:
    Brian
    KTM 300 all the way! It has many memories of Clear Creek. It is also an indestructable machine that has not let me down yet. It has lots of torque to get you up anything you need. My 300 really showed it true colors to me during the 2007 Quicksilver. The bike just pulled it's way through that slimmy shit, long uphills, rocky sections and everything else I encountered that day. You can lug it and ride it like a 4-stroke or ride like a 2-stroke. Mount a trials tire on the back and you can climb rocks like a billy goat.

I have owned numerous bikes before the 300. Let's start off with the 2003 Honda CRF 450 (The bike with the most issues ever. I spent more tire working on the bike then riding it.) The I went through a Yamaha phase. The 2004 WR 450 was a good bike with an excellent motor, but had turning issues. The 2005 Yamaha YZ-250 2-stroke was a rocket ship. Almost killed myself a couple of times in the woods. It was just too hard to tame the engine. Kept crashing and braking plastic. When I did tame the engine, it do not have anymore top end. The 2005 KTM 450 MXC. This bike is rated very close to the 300. That is why I still own it. The only draw back is the weight compared to the 300. I have raced both and tropied on both. They both have performed well at the creek. In both shitty mud and dry conditions. In the end I would have the 300.....

12. billgear

billgear Registered User

Name:
    Bill
    Gnarly boosts the low/ mid, top seems the same. The low end is real electric with the new pipe, plus the gnarly is thicker metal. so harder to dent.

Bill

13. dirtman

dirtman Active Member

Name:
    D
    Is this the bike you speak of?

04 300 EXC

Funnest bike ever.

As you can see, this bike will take you places you don't want to be and has no problem gettin' you out.

Notice the view from the top looking down to the bike. My 300 was the only bike to make it out without help. I think you were asking about looking up, steep every which way and all you can do is PIN IT!!!!
    here ya go :bounce

300 EXC 003.jpg

Derek Air 1.jpg

Derek in trees.jpg

14. justinandkarna

justinandkarna PUBLIC Lands

:mecry :mecry :mecry :mecry :mecry

Thieves, Crooks, Scum.

Eat S--T BLM

15. gnarly_carl

gnarly_carl Active Member

Name:
    Carl
    I put in 3k+ miles at "The Creek" with my 07 300 and never had an issue. When another KTM graces my stable it will be another 300.:thumbup