Do You Appreciate the Law of Physics - funny or scary

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Motomania, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Motomania

Motomania Registered User

Name:
    George
    Do You Appreciate the “Law of Physics” ?

Forwarded from a senior level person at Chrysler dated July 19, 2009

“Monday morning, I attended a breakfast meeting where the guest speaker was David E. Cole, Chairman Center for Automotive Research (CAR ) and a Professor at the University of Michigan.

Mr. Cole, who is an engineer by training, told many stories of the difficulty of working with the folks that the Obama administration has sent to save the automotive industry. There have been many meetings where a 30 year experienced automotive expert has to listen to a newcomer to the industry, someone with Zero manufacturing experience, zero auto industry experience, zero finance experience and zero engineering experience, tell them how to run their business.

Mr. Cole’s favorite story is as follows:

“Obama’s people were explaining to Mr. Cole that the auto companies needed to make a car that was electric and liquid natural gas (LNG) able to go 500 miles so that we wouldn’t need to have so many gas stations. (a whole other topic).

They were quoting the BTUs of LNG and battery life they had looked up on some web site.

Mr Cole explained that to do this you would need a trunk full of batteries and an LNG tank as big as the car. To make that happen; and there were problems related to the laws of physics that prevented them from ….

The Obama person interupted and said (and I am quoting here) “These Laws of Physics? Whose rules are those? We need to change that!” (Some of the others wrote down the law name so they could look it up.)”

“We have congress and the administration. We can repeal that law, amend it or use an executive order to get rid of that problem. That’s why we are hereto fix these sort of issues”

And these are the kind of people that will run healthcare ? !

2. Andrew

Andrew registered YZer

Name:
    Andrew
    's funny, but I've seen that same joke repeated every few years for the past 30 years or so about various governments in various countries. I've even see the same gag in French and German.

You can tell it's an old gag, because even the archaic US auto industry abandoned the BTU for the Joule over a decade ago.

The only place you see BTUs now is on Utility bills so old people can understand how much domestic gas they burned.

So I'm inclined to dismiss it as an old gag, resurrected for this years audience.

3. Motomania

Motomania Registered User

Name:
    George
    no doubt but it is still funny and some of the stuff I've heard come from Washington over the years (not only under Obama's administration) just blows my mind.

I worked in the airline industry and had to deal with the FAA for a few years and you would be surprised about some of the idiots responsible for aircraft maintenance rules and requirements and flight crew training rules and requirements...

just plain stupid and ignorant waaayyyy too often.