KTM 300 Cylinder Head

Discussion in 'KTM Info' started by billgear, Jan 25, 2010.

1. billgear

billgear Registered User

Name:
    Bill
    KTM is selling The SXS cylinder head for the newer 2 stroke 300 motors now. I picked one up for about 130.00, The power increase is quite dramatic I had it on in less then 30 minutes.. Huge bang for the buck. The SXS head has a much smalller chamber, but still pump gas frendly (maybe not in mexico). Part number is #SXS10300051. It still feels like a enduro engine, just a bigger more powerful one :)

Bill

2. Oscar

Oscar Getting dirty

You felt the need for more power from the 300? :crazy :biggrin

3. 6thGear

6thGear Team 1 Co Founder

Name:
    Vin
    :lol I was thinking the same thing

4. mrmike130s

mrmike130s Active Member

Name:
    Mike
    I very rarely ride mine on the pipe for more than a few seconds. Long loose up hills, Los Gatos race had that. Long deep sand crossings, Estreet at Marysville race. Hope to ride my 300 at CCMA for some long deep hill climbs some day.

5. billgear

billgear Registered User

Name:
    Bill
    My other bike is a 450 with the 570 kit, the 300 felt kinda mellow... Actually, I'm slow riding short shifter, this mod just made the 300 even easier to ride a gear or two high.
    I'm well over 200 pound also, power to weight ratio and all that..

Bill

6. BaadBrad

BaadBrad Human Rain Delay

My experience with 2 strokes tells me that higher compression on a smoker will give the motor more low end power and limit its over rev a little. Probably would be a great addition in the colder months, but will also make it run hotter and possibly harder for the button to turn it over.

7. KTMJack

KTMJack Well-Known Member with a little KTM in the brain

Name:
    Jack
    I bumped up my compression a little for more grunt
    I am afraid of starter failure if i go more:bash what i would like is a 350 kit :thumbup I have Dicks racing carb on it too! and still need a little more :smilewink

8. billgear

billgear Registered User

Name:
    Bill
    The electric starter is iffy on the stock bike....

9. Moose

Moose Mercenary

I kick and button at the same time in the district, lets me start in gear with the clutch pulled.

10. Vic

Vic Well-Known Member

Name:
    Vic
    Is there a way to beef up the starter?

11. KTMJack

KTMJack Well-Known Member with a little KTM in the brain

Name:
    Jack
    you have to shim up the bendix gear there a little sloppy from the factory and there is hardly any grease other than that there not going to last that long ? Kick it when you can it will last alot longer

12. billgear

billgear Registered User

Name:
    Bill

The good news is, the thing kicks super easy and almost always starts in one or two kicks. Way easier then any 4 stroke.

13. KTMrider

KTMrider Member

Name:
    Dean
    Bill, I think you need the Service Honda 500 cc two stroke.

14. Woodster

Woodster Member

Name:
    Roger
    Dude...Like what do you expect when the guy's other ride is a 570 beast ! :drool :drool
    DAMN I LOVE the grunt that 570 has :rad BUT I still want to ride the 300 and see how that autoclutchamathingy does on that ride also..:smilewink If you play you cards right Bill, you could even try my old worn out worked over 300 :lol I know they are crap old pictures of my port job, but somewhat effective..

KTM port job pic#1.jpg

KTM port job pic#2.jpg

15. billgear

billgear Registered User

Name:
    Bill
    How was the power different after porting? I think the early motors had a bit more hot (from what I've heard)

I changed the rekluse engagement spring today, had it setup with the taller spring (higher rpm engagement). Went to lower rpm spring today. With the gnarly pipe, SXS head and the rekluse, it really is a tractor!!

Woodster, your welcome to give it a try any time!!

Bill