What is the best sprocket size combo for an XR650L?

Discussion in 'General' started by Z50Doug, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Z50Doug

Z50Doug Outlook defines outcome

Name:
    Doug
    I would like to upgrade my XR650L with a Supersprox Stealth sprocket set. However, the OEM sprocket size combo (15/45) is not available. All that is available is either a 14 or 15 tooth front and either a 41, 42 or 48 tooth rear. If anyone has switched to any one of these combos and liked it, please let me know which combo you have and how it changed the performance of the bike!
  2. CVJason

CVJason Registered User

Name:
    Jason
    I think it would depend on what kind of riding you do most. On my XR400, I'm currently running 16/43 (stock 15/45), because I ride mostly dualsport. On the flipside, my CCMA setup was 15/48.
  3. Leeb17

Leeb17 Registered User

Name:
    Lee
    Doug, I have a 15/47 on mine. Will do 95mph on the road, but is definitely still tall gearing for slower offroad stuff. I really have to clutch it a lot if on slow stuff, but mostly it works ok.

I've read on the XRL forums and such that some guys carry a 14t CS and switch it when transitioning from road to off road.

Hope that helps.
  4. Z50Doug

Name:
    Doug
    Thanks for the inputs. I plan to ride mostly dual-sport and ride the Metcalf & Hollister trails from time to time. I like the gearing I have now. Would it be a bad idea to go with the 15/48 combo that is available or would the bike do better overall with the 15/42?
  5. Vegun

Vegun upiddy veggie @#*!

Name:
    Mike
    I run 14/48 on my xr650r and it's fine. A 15 would by some top end but you'd lose acceleration down low.

I hit 92 on the BRP today and that's plenty for this thing.
  6. Andrew

Andrew registered YZer

Name:
    Andrew
    An XR650R will pull a taller gear than an XR650L

if you can't get the ratio you want from supersprox maybe see if you can get an Ironman. Just as light and long lasting on big singles.
  7. ScottRNelson

ScottRNelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Why are you set on a Supersprox Stealth sprocket set if they don't have anything close to the ratio you need?

If you are absolutely set on buying from them, you're probably best off going with the 48-tooth rear. You can always buy both a 14 and a 15-tooth front and swap for the smaller one for dirt riding. I feel that a 42 would be too high of gearing unless you put a 14 on the front to go with it.

I've had my XR650L for over a year and still haven't bothered to verify whether it has a 15 or a 14 on the front. It definitely has a 45 rear. What I could really use is a new second gear that's not such a big jump up from first. Actually, I would like to choose all new ratios in the transmission, with a slightly higher 4th and and a higher 5th as well. All of the gear ratios just seem wrong on that bike.
  8. Z50Doug

Name:
    Doug
    I appreciate all of your inputs and will check out the Ironman sprocket set (didn't know about it). I was going to buy OEM, until I saw that the price for the full set-up, including and RK chain, was the same as the set from Supersprox. If Ironman doesn't have the OEM 15/45 combo, then I guess I'll just buy OEM and be done with it.

I bought an "OEM Replacement" set from Cyclegear, waited a week for delivery and was all set to install it this weekend until I opened the package and saw that the quality was far inferior to the original Honda parts! :bash This got me started on finding a quality set.
  9. Andrew

Andrew registered YZer

Name:
    Andrew