Bridgeport Fall Color and Hot Springs ride 2011

Discussion in 'Pictures' started by m0t0-ryder, Oct 22, 2011.

1. m0t0-ryder

m0t0-ryder ryd

Name:
    John
    It was getting late in the year and I hadn’t made a single ride to any of the Sierra hot springs.

One of my favorite is the Buckeye Hot Springs located near Bridgeport. I had been trying to get on a camping ride up there for weeks but other events got in the way. I finally couldn’t take it anymore. Especially reading about Mike’s upcoming ride to Bridgeport.
    So I assembled the gear for a night (or two) of camping and on Tuesday, Oct 18’th I headed to the high Sierras!

My route this time would be up 108 to Bridgeport, camp at Buckeye Hot Springs, and ride back via 395 to 89 to 4. The timing was good for some nice fall color with some groves already having lost the majority of their leaves. Two of the more spectacular areas were near the top of 108 and at the summit of 89.

Hwy 108 at 8000 feet…

IMG_3951 sm.jpg

IMG_3957 sm.jpg

IMG_3958 sm.jpg

There was random brightness of leaves in their fall colors.

IMG_1820 sm.jpg

2. m0t0-ryder

m0t0-ryder ryd

Name:
    John
    Took a break amongst some large old weathered bristlecone trees.

IMG_1826 sm.jpg

Found a waterfall there too.

IMG_1824 sm.jpg

Leavitt Meadow was looking magnificent!
    Ok, here’s where I had problem with posting “a” picture. I took one from near the same spot with one focused on the color in the valley below and the other focused on the blue sky. I like them both but couldn’t decide which I liked better. So here they both are…

Valley

IMG_1831 sm crp.jpg

Sky

IMG_1832 sm crp.jpg

A zoom in on the color patch

IMG_1833 sm crp.jpg

3. m0t0-ryder

m0t0-ryder ryd

Name:
    John
    But as fun as it can be, or so I’ve been told, all good things must come to an end.

IMG_1835 sm.jpg

But hey, now I’m on the last short stretch of 395 to Bridgeport!

IMG_1836 sm crp.jpg

Along 395 there were also large groves of color in what appeared to be areas that have more water, such as canyons and streams.

IMG_1838 sm crp.jpg

4. m0t0-ryder

m0t0-ryder ryd

Name:
    John
    And then I was in Bridgeport where I usually shopped at the old market located just as you come into town (from the north) but when I pulled in I found it was closed and the building for sale. Bummer. I went to the small market located in the center of town and bought ice and water. Then headed up to the hot springs to set up camp and get in a soak.

I found there were only a few campers so picked a quite place close to the trail down to the hot springs.
    I also scrounged the empty campsites and gathered enough wood for the evening and morning fires (and a nice sturdy box to use as a table) . Also found a couple planks to make a cooking area table.

My initial setup, before I headed down for an evening soak…

IMG_1840 sm crp.jpg

Here’s what it looked like the next morning after coffee and before next trip down to the pools.

IMG_1880 sm.jpg

A colorful small bridge crossing on Buckeye Rd near Twin Lakes Rd.

IMG_3963 sm.jpg

IMG_3966 sm.jpg

5. m0t0-ryder

m0t0-ryder ryd

Name:
    John
    Here’s some shot’s of Buckeye Hot Springs…

From the camping side of Buckeye Creek. (looking basically North)

IMG_1847 sm.jpg

From the hot springs side. (looking basically East)

IMG_1849 sm crp.jpg

These Hot Springs soaking pools are washed away every year or two by snow melt and Buckeye Creek then they get rebuilt by locals. This year the pools were much larger than usual. Depth was anywhere from 1 to 2 ½ feet. The largest pool (closest in the above photo) was medium warm, about bathtub temp. The next pool was much warmer at probably 102 to 105 degrees. The water falling into this pool was too hot to leave your hand (or any other body part) in for too long. The third pool down was smallest and coolest in temp.

Here you can see the larger amount of water flowing into the hottest pool.

IMG_1855 sm crp.jpg

Buckeye Creek was pretty cold so a cool off dip was just a couple steps from the hot water. Looking upstream. (west’ish)

IMG_1863 sm.jpg

The view from inside.

IMG_1868 sm.jpg

6. m0t0-ryder

m0t0-ryder ryd

Name:
    John
    Cooking Dinner on night two

IMG_1887 sm.jpg

35 degrees air temp, Steam and Sunrise on the pools on Thursday, last day here.

IMG_1891 sm.jpg

7. m0t0-ryder

m0t0-ryder ryd

Name:
    John
    Heading home Thursday I took a few more shots of the fall colors.
    Along 395 near Fales Hot Springs.

IMG_1895 sm crp.jpg

The largest area of fall color I saw on this ride was along Highway 87 near Monitor Pass. I had the video rolling so didn’t stop except for the pass marker itself.

IMG_1897 sm crp.jpg

There was more color along Hwy 4.

IMG_1908 sm.jpg

Reached the top of Hwy 4.

IMG_1913 sm crp.jpg

Then it was just a nice ride back with almost no traffic. In fact, my ride on Hwy 87 and 4 was almost traffic free. A very very fine way to enjoy these types of roads!

The fall color in the sierras is on strong now but will probably not last but a couple more weeks. If ya wanna see it better get up there! :thumbup

8. never2old

never2old I'm 75 until I put my helmet on...

Name:
    Gary
    Very cool pictures and ride John thanks for the thread :thumbup

We were at those hot springs on our dirt bikes a couple of months ago...

9. BillST4s

BillST4s PNW Chapter

Name:
    Bill
    Good photos. Thanks for posting.

10. DoubleD

DoubleD Pogue Mahone

Name:
    Todd
    I was just wondering the other day if you'd made it to that hidden spring in NV. Not this trip I take it? Great pics and it must've been a lot of fun on 108 and 4!

11. Vegun

Vegun UVF

Name:
    Mike
    Looks like a cold but great trip.

This damn hotel room is chilly, I can't imagine the temps in that tent.

So you didn't make it to Conway Summit? ORANGE as can be.

12. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Looks nice and relaxing!

13. m0t0-ryder

m0t0-ryder ryd

Name:
    John
    Thanks Gary!
    Were you on dual sports? If not, how did you get in w/o doing road (395 on end of Buckeye Rd, Twin Lakes other end. I did see a few sidetracking jeep roads heading up draws but haven’t gone up them.
    Did you get in the springs?

I had thought about that Todd, but wouldn’t do it to a new “unknown” spot in “heavy camping” mode. I carried a lot to Buckeye to be comfortable and knew I wasn’t doing any rough stuff.

I didn’t go south of Bridgeport on this ride. I did see a large smoke cloud in that direction on Wednesday. Later found out it was a controlled burn.
    I have kinda wondered if there is a way (paved or dirt) to get into the aspens along Conway Summit. I have seen dirt roads over there but just figured private property. Need to explore that some time when up there.

I chose that tent (larger of my two moto tents) because it has a better rainfly (heat retention) and room to stand up (sort of for me but not for you).
    I also chose that stove (propane) over my backpacking stoves because it can be stood up and used as a heater. (I wouldn’t do this in my smaller tent) It does warm the tent up rather nicely although I wouldn’t leave it running continuously.
    In my “heavy camping” mode I also carry a portable cot and longer Thermarest pad. Getting off the ground helps stay more comfortable and warmer. My 20 degree North Face Cats Meow bag also does fine in these temps.

Then I'm either in the hot pools or layered in front of the fire.
    Daytime temps were great.

14. never2old

Name:
    Gary
    Yeah John we were on dual sports. We went in from Bridgeport on the pavement but dirt going out. Mike will have to chime in and tell you exactly what we did I just followed :laughing

IMG_0945.JPG

This is as close as we got to the pools.

IMG_0978.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

adam3rd likes this.
  15. never2old

Name:
    Gary
    I see Mike didn't chime in to tell you how we got out of there, but it was on jeep roads as I recall.

16. Vegun

Vegun UVF

Name:
    Mike
    can't recall.