Fort Ord National Monument Dedication

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Political Action' started by et, May 15, 2012.

1. et

et Well-Known Member

The Secretary of the Interior, Ken Salazar, BLM Director Bob Abbey and Congressman Sam Farr will be at Fort Ord this Saturday, 5/19, to dedicate the Fort Ord National Monument. The program starts at 10:00 with the ceremony at 10:30. I am planning to attend with my Save Clear Creek t-shirt on and riding my DS. Phantom Duck and his side kick Renee will be joining me. I understand that the event is open to the public but the only public likely to know about it in advance are the chosen few sent invitations. Don't expect the Hollister Field Office to send out a general mailing or to see it in the local paper until Saturday morning..

Fort Ord Map.jpg

2. ApexMolester

ApexMolester Well-Known Member

Ed, thanks for posting. the location...where most don't ever get go legally by vehicle was chosen to for it's vehicle parking options vs some meaningful historic point location off of Jacks Road. once the dedication is over, we will not be allowed to return that location of blm land again..it's closed to foot traffic normally. the fort ord blm ofice is handling all of the this, and has stated they have released all information on the dedication to all of the local media outlets for release. hfo may be the main FO in Hollister but the base blm is running this show on its own.

I believe they wanted to stuff the invited guest into their favor and not just have joe public show up unannounced given the option to do so.

fort ord blm even said they haven't done a very good job at getting the word out

Please join
    Department of the Interior Secretary Ken Salazar
    White House Council on Environmental Quality Chair Nancy Sutley
    Department of the Interior Deputy Secretary David Hayes
    Bureau of Land Management Director Bob Abbey
    Congressman Sam Farr
    For a Celebration Honoring Military Heritage and
    the Dedication of Fort Ord National Monument
    Saturday, May 19, 2012 - Armed Forces Day
    10:00am – 11:30am
    Program to Begin at 10:30am
    (Map Attached - Directions to the ceremony will be marked with “BLM Special Event” signs
    from Highway 1 at Lightfighter Drive, and Reservation Road at Imjin Road intersection.)
    RSVP by 2:00pm on Thursday, May 17th to OfficeoftheSecretary@ios.doi.gov

Eric A. Morgan

BLM's Fort Ord National Monument Manager

FORT ORD OFFICE

Former Fort Ord Range Control Compound

Building 812, Eucalyptus Road

(831)394-8314 direct line

(831)206-2505 cell phone

(831)394-8346 fax

emorgan@blm.gov

Mailing Address:

Hollister Field Office

20 Hamilton Court

Hollister, CA 95023

3. Randuzi

Randuzi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Randy
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is the purpose or significance of this new National Monument? I thought that NM were simply areas that have National Park beauty and natural significance but were just too small to be a NP. If so, what in the world is of that caliber, at Fort Ord?

Edit: I took a look at the Wikipedia page for National Monuments and besides natural significance/beauty, historical significance is also a common theme. Though even in that context, Fort Ord is by far the least historically significant of all the other historically themed NM in the country. From the wikipedia page, "Fort Ord was an Army post from 1917 to 1994. It now has recreational trails and various wildlife."

4. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

MONEY

Fame for Sam Farr, Ken Salazar and Obama

Tourists PERIOD!!!!!

5. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

6. Randuzi

Randuzi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Randy
    How much money do they expect to get? Locals will walk in and not pay the $5 NM entrance fee.

I was equally confused about the push to make Pinnacles a National Park. I'd love for San Benito County to be the home of a NP but Pinnacles is relatively small with a very limited trails system (relative to other NP). Becoming a NP would increase the entrance fee to $20 and then there might likely be a reduction in number of visitors.

7. ApexMolester

It's all smoke and paintings of mirrors with a reflection of smoke painted-in (can't afford real mirrosr to pull off the flim flam)...

8. m0t0-ryder

m0t0-ryder ryd

Name:
    John
    An un-accessable National Monument.

Sounds like the .GOV is running on all (1.5) cylinders.

How wasteful and useless.

Vote them ALL OUT.

9. Andy

Andy Wheelie for Safety

Name:
    Andy
    Thank you Ed, Ron and Renee for showing support of Clear Creek.

10. ApexMolester

There will be a few people yelling out, "What about the blm emergancy closure of Clear Creek on May 2008 4 years ago..?"

"sam committed himself two years ago, and his office to get to the bottom of the largest land closure in US history under sam's watch in sam's back yard... in San Benito County.

sam has never, ever lifted a single pathetic finger attached to his pathetic little worthless hands in support. I hope to detour the dedication away from its smoke and mirrors to real flim flam taking place.

better rsvp if you want to get in on this historic event.

11. 4strokerider

4strokerider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Eric
    Time for a little "OCCUPY FORT ORD" this weekend. Corral Salazar and Abbey and maybe take them on a one way tour to Cleer Creek.

12. HalfFast

HalfFast BLM HATER

Name:
    Allan D
    Anyone have a bull horn I can borrow that will fit on my dual sport? I am RSVP'ing now. Flash Mob anyone?

I will be riding from Morgan Hill Starbucks on Tennant at 0800 taking the twisty way there on my legally licensed dual sport KTM. And then I am going to exercise my right as an American and a veteran and protest until my lungs hurt!

Anyone on this forum got the BALLS to ride with me and maybe spend a day in jail Saturday!???? The greenies who only number 5% of the population got our friggin shopping bags removed from the stores in San Jose, OHV'ers number 14% and what do we have to show for it????

Get off your ass and ride with me! I will buy the coffee!

I am sick of this crap and not going to take it anymore!

RSVP HERE!

13. dirtflea

dirtflea Well-Known Member

Abbey is retiring next month.

14. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

Secretary Salazar, CEQ Chair Sutley will Speak at Fort Ord Dedication Ceremony

05/16/2012

Erin Curtis (BLM) 916-350-0518
    Daniel Carpenter (Presidio of Monterey) 831-242-6421

WASHINGTON -- On Saturday, May 19, 2012, Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar and White House Council on Environmental Quality Chair Nancy Sutley will speak at the dedication ceremony for the recently established Fort Ord National Monument. Rep. Sam Farr, Garrison Commander Col. Joel J. Clark, Deputy Secretary of the Interior David Hayes and Director of the Bureau of Land Management Bob Abbey will join them.

Participants and media should plan to arrive no later than 10 a.m. The event will begin at 10:30 a.m.

WHO: Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar
    Council on Environmental Quality Chair Nancy Sutley
    Representative Sam Farr
    Deputy Secretary of the Interior David J. Hayes
    Garrison Commander Col. Joel J. Clark
    WHAT:
    Dedication of the Fort Ord National Monument
    WHEN:
    Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Daylight Savings Time
    WHERE: Fort Ord National Monument lands near Monterey, Calif. From the corner of General Jim Moore Blvd and Gigling Rd., follow the BLM Special Event signs (about 12 minutes)
    MEDIA: Credentialed news media representatives may cover this event. Please contact Erin Curtis, 916-350-0518, to RSVP and get further information.
    ###

15. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

You MUST make a reservation to attend here ..............

Anyone who would like to attend the event must RSVP by 2 p.m. Thursday by emailing officeofthesecretary@ios.doi.gov

News 8 article

http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-ca...rday/-/5738820/13417096/-/cjwjrr/-/index.html

Look here

Fort Ord National Monument dedication on Saturday
    UPDATED 11:04 AM PDT May 16, 2012
    SEASIDE, Calif. -
    A dedication ceremony to celebrate the United States' newest national monument, Fort Ord Soldiers National Monument, will be held on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

The event will be hosted by U.S. Department of Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, U.S. Rep. Sam Farr, Garrison Commander Col. Joel J. Clark, Department of the Interior Deputy Secretary David Hayes, White House Council on Environmental Quality Chair Nancy Sutley, and Burea of Land Management Director Bob Abby.

Anyone who would like to attend the event must RSVP by 2 p.m. Thursday by emailing officeofthesecretary@ios.doi.gov

President Barack Obama officially made Fort Ord a national monument when he signed a proclamation in the White House Oval Office on April 20.

"Fort Ord's dramatic landscape lives in the memories of thousands of veterans as their first taste of Army life, as a final stop before deploying to war, or as a home base during their military career," Obama said.

About 1.7 million soldiers trained at the former U.S. Army post from the beginning of World War I through Operation Desert Storm.

The monument will encompass 14,650 of Fort Ord's 28,000 acres, and is only the second national monument Obama has created since becoming president.

The scenic area is now a popular spot for nature lovers, hikers and bicyclists. About 7,200 acres will be devoted to hiking, horse riding and bicycling. Another 7,450 acres, under the control of the U.S. Department of Defense, is being cleared of decades of unexploded shells and other ordnance once used for artillery practice.

That work is expected to be finished in 2019 and is supervised by the federal Bureau of Land Management.

Fort Ord's history dates back to horse cavalry soldiers in World War I, and existed from 1917 until 1991.

"This national monument will not only protect one of the crown jewels of California's coast, but will also honor the heroism and dedication of men and women who served our nation and fought in the major conflicts of the 20th century," Obama said.

Saturday's dedication ceremony will be held at Fort Ord on Jacks Road. To get there, exit off Highway 1 in Seaside, turn right on General Jim Moore Blvd., turn left on Gigling Road, turn right on the 8th Ave. Extension, turn right on Parker Flats Road, continue on Eucalyptus Road, and continue on Jacks Road.

Copyright 2012 by KSBW.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

16. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

How many National Monuments need to clean up TOXIC waste????? That is bigger than all of Hollister Hills!!

Sure hope it will allow camping that would work for me.

17. plantguy

plantguy Well-Known Member

Name:
    David
    What? Do you mean these folks are advancing to a higher PEERS or Federal rate just prior to retiring?

Steve when due we sue? I have given up and will just join the dog and pony show.

Talked with some folks today that are working on some T&E in the area and, well, the only person in HFO that is worth a **** is Ryan O Dell. Damn sad, and here we sit.

Oh by the way I have not started my WR in over a year. What's the point? DT

18. HalfFast

HalfFast BLM HATER

Name:
    Allan D
    I RSVP'ed yesterday but still don't have confirmation. Maybe they know my intent on going is to throw a monkey wrench in the works.

19. et

et Well-Known Member

I was told this was open to the public, so don't worry about an invitation. Just show up.

20. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

What I can find as an invitation.................

Please join

Department of the Interior Secretary Ken Salazar
    White House Council on Environmental Quality Chair Nancy Sutley
    Department of the Interior Deputy Secretary David Hayes
    Congressman Sam Farr

For a Celebration Honoring Military Heritage and
    the Dedication of Fort Ord National Monument

Saturday, May 19, 2012 - Armed Forces Day
    10:00am – 11:30am
    Program to Begin at 10:30am

(Map Attached - Directions to the ceremony will be marked with “BLM Special Event” signs
    from Highway 1 at Lightfighter Drive, and Reservation Road at Imjin Road intersection.)