Riding to Oregon for a Reuben - Sammich That Is

Discussion in 'Pictures' started by Tyler, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Name:
    Tyler (Ms.)
    Riding to Oregon for a Reuben - Sammich That Is!

Awhile back, forum friend Ray posted up about a restaurant in his home town of LaPine, OR. He highly recommended the reuben sandwich and asked if anyone wanted to do a RTE (Ride To Eat) to experience it. About 80 of his closest friends descended upon the town... but I'm getting ahead of myself. I had originally planned to fly up but saw that I had enough time in the vacation bank to take a couple of days to get up there and back... so I did!

Left Thursday morning to meet Doug and Tom in Hope Valley as they were returning from Lee Vining. It was warm down in Jackson (97 degrees) and the climb to higher elevation and cooler temps was most welcome... another shot of Caples Lake...
    DSC2133-X2.jpg

2. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Name:
    Tyler (Ms.)
    The fall colors were just beginning their annual show along 88...
    DSC2136-X2.jpg

DSC2138-X2.jpg

DSC2141-XL.jpg

DSC2145-XL.jpg

DSC2154-X2.jpg

3. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Name:
    Tyler (Ms.)
    Doug and his buddy, Tom, were late and so I ended up getting chatted up by an older gent while I waited... he told me just about his entire life in just under a half hour!

From Hope Valley, we went around Lake Tahoe via 89, hopped on 80, and then Doug took us on a few of his local roads... I haven't spent that much riding around that area so it was really fun riding some new roads! Doug and his lovely wife, Gayle, were kind enough to put me up for the evening so, once the bike was unloaded, we headed out for dinner at their favorite haunt, The Wilo. But first a quick stop at their shop (weed and pest control business)...
    DSC2162-XL.jpg

Doug with one of his tropies... an empty (thank goodness!) wasp nest... it was actually really cool to look at up close without fear of any buzzing buzzers...
    DSC2163-XL.jpg

You can tell when fall is starting because the sunsets really are awesome...
    DSC2169cr-XL.jpg

Gayle and I practicing our poser pose...
    DSC2173-XL.jpg

My hosts for the evening... they're kind of like local royalty... I can't tell you how many people came over to our table to say hi to them!
    DSC2175-XL.jpg

4. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Name:
    Tyler (Ms.)
    The next morning, we headed out along 49 without much ado although did run into a few time sinks from roadwork... here SacMike is saying, "Chinese fire drill... GO!!"
    DSC2182-XL.jpg

I didn't get a lot of photos on 49 as I was just having too much fun riding it... last time I'd been up that way was on a photo ride with OM about 4 years ago... the river runs alongside the road and we could get a peek of it while waiting...
    DSC2180-XL.jpg

A left turn onto Gold Lake Rd. and a stop at the vista point...
    DSC2186-X2.jpg

Russ was looking for UFOs... he figured maybe the mother ship would want Bust back for experiments...
    DSC2188-XL.jpg

Sam/puppychow...
    DSC2189-XL.jpg

5. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Name:
    Tyler (Ms.)
    We scooted into Quincy for some food and landed at the Courthouse Cafe located right across from the... courthouse - imagine that!!!
    DSC2193-XL.jpg

DSC2192-XL.jpg

Food was very good and we all gave it a big thumbs up!
    DSC2194-XL.jpg

Russ soaking in the atmosphere...
    DSC2196-XL.jpg

Gettin' ready to head out...
    DSC2198-XL.jpg

6. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Name:
    Tyler (Ms.)
    Up 70 to 89...
    DSC2200-X2.jpg

Past Lake Almanor and then a stop at Subway Caves... the cool air was a relief from the day's heat and Sam, ever the gentleman, lent me his arm as we traversed through the cave... had we not had flashlights it would have been pitch black and I'm sure I would've tripped as the floor was very uneven and bumpy...

"Oh no, after you, Doug... I'll come get ya if you get lost... really!"
    DSC2209-XL.jpg

DSC2212-XL.jpg

DSC2215-XL.jpg

DSC2219-XL.jpg

7. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Name:
    Tyler (Ms.)
    It was kinda creepy in there so when we got to the other side, I decided to forego the return trip underground and almost got lost trying to find the parking lot! At the junction of 299 and 89, Don and split off from the group to take the more direct route to Klamath Falls where we would meet up with even more friends all heading for that rueben sandwich!

One of my favorite towns... just makes me laugh every time...
    DSC2228-X2.jpg

A couple of views of Mt. Shasta...
    DSC2232-X2.jpg

DSC2238-X2.jpg

Juniper Valley...
    DSC2239-40-41PS-X3.jpg

BlueBuellFool likes this.
  8. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Name:
    Tyler (Ms.)
    And on in to Klamath Falls for a killer sunset...
    DSC2250-X2.jpg

DSC2265-X2.jpg

We dined with friends at the restaurant right next door and then everyone headed off to their respective rooms to plan the next day's route, share a few stories, and maybe imbibe in an adult beverage... :biggrin

Xler8 and Vegun like this.
  9. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Name:
    Tyler (Ms.)
    I really wanted to ride around Crater Lake as it'd been years since I'd been up there and a few like-minded folks decided to join in the festivities... so we set off around 8 a.m. in the brisk, VERY brisk, air and headed for the lake... first stop was at Vidae Falls which was still running...
    DSC2267-X2.jpg

And then around the east rim of the lake... there was very little traffic to deal with that early in the morning although I heard it got pretty packed later in the day... but we enjoyed having the place mostly to ourselves...
    DSC2285cr-X2.jpg

And then we rounded the corner to the first vista point, Phantom Ship...
    DSC2290-X2.jpg

Next stop was at Cloud Cap... wonder why they call it that??
    DSC2313cr-XL.jpg

DSC2307-08-X2.jpg

Xler8 likes this.
  10. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Name:
    Tyler (Ms.)
    Can you see the little tour boat on the water?
    DSC2322-X2.jpg

Hard to really get the feel of this place... it is amazingly beautiful and photos really don't do it justice...
    DSC2325-26-27-X3.jpg

AJ and Joe...
    DSC2336-X2.jpg

And then we high-tailed it to LaPine so as not to miss the whole reason for riding there... by the time I got there, the place was packed... I don't think Ray thought this would turn out to be such a huge event!
    DSC2339-X2.jpg

These sandwiches were HUGE!! I could only eat about a quarter of one... I think it was worth the ride. :biggrin
    DSC2341-XL.jpg

Xler8 likes this.
  11. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Name:
    Tyler (Ms.)
    After lunch, a few of us decided to go exploring a little bit and Ray pointed us to a nearby road, Paulina Lake Rd., that was supposed to be very scenic... so off we went...

Lake Paulina
    DSC2354-X2.jpg

DSC2360cr-X2.jpg

Cool clouds in the sunny blue skies...
    DSC2368-XL.jpg

I'd say it was a pretty nice road...
    DSC2370cr-X2.jpg

12. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Name:
    Tyler (Ms.)
    Ray had told us there was a dirt road up to Paulina's Peak where you could see for miles on a clear day... so we found a dirt road...
    DSC2371-X2.jpg

But it wasn't the right one so we turned around...
    DSC2373-X2.jpg

Then we found another dirt road...
    DSC2376-X2.jpg

But we weren't feelin' it so we headed back for pavement...
    DSC2380-X2.jpg

13. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Name:
    Tyler (Ms.)
    Stopped off at the lava beds and saw lots and lots of rocks...
    DSC2382-XL.jpg

DSC2387-XL.jpg

Stairway to rock heaven...
    DSC2384-XL.jpg

Lots and lots of rocks...
    DSC2394-X2.jpg

Long way down... don't trip!
    DSC2403-XL.jpg

14. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Name:
    Tyler (Ms.)
    As we headed back to Ray's for the bbq at his place that evening, the smoke from a nearby wildfire had descended upon the area... I was amazed at how quickly it enveloped the sky... this has been a really bad year for wildfires...

Before...

After...
    DSC2408-XL.jpg

The ominous cloud followed me to Ray's...
    DSC2412-XL.jpg

By the time I arrived at Ray's, the garage was full, tire changes were in play, and lots of shop talk was floating around...
    DSC2415-XL.jpg

15. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Name:
    Tyler (Ms.)
    The welcome sign for unwanted visitors...
    DSC2422-XL.jpg

The truck taxi was enroute to and from the hotel to shuttle wayward motorcyclists so they could enjoy an adult beverage and not have to worry about getting back to the hotel...
    DSC2413-XL.jpg

Joe getting ready to get checked under the... um... hood...
    DSC2419-XL.jpg

Busted!!!
    DSC2423-XL.jpg

Glad to see someone knows how to react around a camera...
    DSC2425-XL.jpg

16. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Name:
    Tyler (Ms.)
    Meanwhile outside the sky was putting on its own show...
    DSC2436-X2.jpg

And then it was time for dinner... again, superb host/ess and also to all their kids who threw in to make all of the dinner happen... did I mention y'all ROCK?? :)
    DSC2440-XL.jpg

DSC2441-XL.jpg

The food was beyond awesome...
    DSC2443-XL.jpg

The room I was staying in was covered in Patti's handmade quilts, one that she made for her SIL who is dealing with breast cancer... this photo doesn't do them justice but the craftmanship and artistry in these was amazing...
    DSC2451-XL.jpg

17. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Name:
    Tyler (Ms.)
    I awoke the next morning in time to see the gang off before enjoying a cup of coffee, chatting with Ray and Patti, and witnessing the canine love spectacle...
    DSC2455-XL.jpg

And so I packed up my bike and headed out on the road... I was a little bit anxious as it would be my first overnight solo trip since the accident... but at the same time, I was looking forward to it... as the miles rolled away underneath me and the bike, I found my mind wandering... thinking through some things, letting go of "stuff"... releasing any negative... freeing the mind, body, and spirit of that which weighed me down... and I felt lighter and the sun felt just a little brighter and the world was just a little bit better of a place to be...

I managed to dodge a vicious bear attack...
    DSC2457-XL.jpg

And enjoyed life's music that had nothing to do with an iPod...
    DSC2458cr-XL.jpg

Coming back through Klamath Falls, the color of the day was BLUE...
    DSC2460cr-X3.jpg

18. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Name:
    Tyler (Ms.)
    Clearing one's mind enables the "little" things to come through and be noticed...
    DSC2463cr2-X2.jpg

The artwork of the land around you...
    DSC2468-X2.jpg

The grandeur...
    DSC2476cr-X2.jpg

Okay so not everyone gets it the same way... lol
    DSC2479-XL.jpg

19. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Name:
    Tyler (Ms.)
    I stopped in Burney to fuel up and started chatting with a local gent, Pat, who lived in Cassel, just a couple of miles down 299... he said I should take Cassel Rd. which would take a short detour but then put me back onto 89... I decided to take his suggestion... I came across this whimsical display of metal scupltures next to a construction company (forgot the name)... seems every other year the two brothers that own the company create a new sculpture and add it to the menagerie...
    DSC2482-XL.jpg

Taking the grandkids to see the big animals...
    DSC2483-XL.jpg

This one bugged me...
    DSC2484-XL.jpg

DSC2488-XL.jpg

DSC2489-XL.jpg

20. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Name:
    Tyler (Ms.)
    You're heard the saying, "When pigs fly"? Well, here ya go...
    DSC2487-XL.jpg

Pat had told me to look for a peace sign hanging in a tree and that was where he lived on Cassel Rd... found it!
    DSC2490-XL.jpg

I was greeted by his springer spaniel, Cocoa, and he showed me around his property... seems he likes to build custom cars... this is the beginning of what will be a flatbed custom vehicle that he'll be able to tow other show cars around... if Haas had been on this trip, we'd probably still be there... :laughing
    DSC2492-XL.jpg

DSC2493-XL.jpg

We chatted for awhile and then I needed to hit the road so as not to be out too late and run the risk of deer strikes... there were too many of them already! So I thanked my new friend and went on my way...
    DSC2499-XL.jpg