Helmets

Discussion in 'Gear and Accessories' started by Motomania, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Motomania

Motomania Licensed to ...

Name:
    George
    A couple of months ago I bought an Arai Signet.

Fit was excellent. Finish top notch.

Shield system is crap. Almost took it back just for that.

I had always heard Arai made quiet helmets. It wasn't.

It protected me well in my recent crash but it is done and time to replace it.

Obviously will not be another Signet.

I will probably go back to HJC.

2. BillST4s

BillST4s PNW Chapter

Name:
    Bill
    Check out Dainese. It has the Shoei type shield release mechanism, which you may prefer over the Arai's. I wore an Arai prior to the Dainese and was never really fond of its shield release mechanism.

I bought the Dainese for its wireless Blue Tooth helmet-helmet communication system back when my son rode two up with me. My first Dainese no doubt saved my life that eventful day in May, 2009 near Weaverville. I replaced it with an identical one.

helmet 1.JPG

helmet 2.JPG

helmet 3.JPG

helmet 4.JPG

helmet 5.JPG

SirNapsAlot likes this.
  3. 3stripes

3stripes Still learning, still leaning

Narly Bill!!

George, There is a few company , I forgotten the names, that has a small dark flip visor built into the helmet. I love not having to wear sunglasses under/inside the helmet. Might want to check it out.

4. Andy

Andy Wheelie for Safety

Name:
    Andy
    HJC make very good helmets. Also check out Kali helmets.

5. mnb

mnb Obliterates Stereotypes

Name:
    Curt
    IIRC, SCC carries Kali, as well as Zoom.

6. Motomania

Motomania Licensed to ...

Name:
    George
    Kali looks interesting. Their colors/designs are bland. Their fit is only OK on my head.

Tai, I always wear glasses that are photogray and I am not fond of The helmets that have the inner shield. I don't see the value added for me. For someone else that does not wear glasses all the time, I can see he attraction and utility.

Had not noted Dianese made helmets...

7. FarmerJohn

FarmerJohn Timekeeper

Name:
    John
    fwiw, check out the Schuberth S2. Very quiet.

8. Motech

Motech Mr. Logorrhoea

Name:
    Steve
    Considered flip-face yet George?

9. ricoyam

ricoyam Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rick
    Shoei is usually top rated for noise.
    While the Arai dirt helmets have always fit me well the road helmets do not. I bought a couple of Shoeis this spring. A Qwest for road and Platinum RJ for vintage MX. I'll continue to wear my Arai VMX for other dirt riding.

The Qwest is a very nice helmet for a less than top drawer helmet. Only complaint I have is the cloth covering on the chin strap feels light and may wear. Otherwise it fit's my head well and is quiet, although I still wear earplugs when I know I'll be running at highway speeds. It also comes with the breath guard which helps deflect your breath from fogging the shield when cold and the chin curtain which keeps the cold air from coming up under the helmet. It also helps cut noise.
    I was also looking at Bells and Vemars toward the final cut. I thought the Shoei quality beat the Bell and the Vemar I liked but fit was a question and they're also not Snell approved. Could be an issue should I get the opportunity to go out on the track again.

I found this was a great resource when helmet shopping:
    <www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm>

10. SirNapsAlot

SirNapsAlot still out there

Name:
    Rich
    I really like my Vemar modular, its a year old and the chin pivot and catch are still solid, the chin strap releases with one hand and as Tai mentioned the sun visor comes in handy the tint actually works better for transition from sun to shade than my sunglasses (i wear glasses too but not photograys), the liner is removeable and the price was surprisingly reasonable too

11. mellroc

mellroc has a Well-Known Member

Name:
    Chris
    First thing I did when I bought my Qwest was to order the thickest cheekpads that Shoei offered. I figured with how inexpensive the helmet was, I couldn't lose.
    It was a quiet helmet to start. With the thick pads, I can't imagine a helmet being any quieter. :thumbup

12. mightslip

mightslip Registered slow poke

Name:
    Mike
    Couple magazines rated helmets lately. Interesting thing ( to me ) is what the Shoei rep had to say. Helmets are made for street or track and they are very much different from each other. Especially in wind noise. I have always thought, if it was made for track = better/safer etc. Wrong! 1 of the items mentioned You get max venting on a track helmet = more noise, but since you are in a forward tuck it is mostly eliminated. Upright position for street? = different venting setup.
    Most recommended helmet/least noise for upright street riding and Shoei heads = http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?GT-Air&h=22&t=1

Andy likes this.
  13. fasttrak

fasttrak Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ken
    I would highly suggest trying out one of the modern flip face helmets. I used to be of the mind set that they were pretty damned weird looking bordering on ugly. After having my Neotec for a couple thousand miles and not sure how I ever lived with out it. The Neotec has a drop down sun visor and works amazingly well, easy to retract and deploy with a swipe of your left hand and does an amazing job of riding into the sun almost pleasant, other angles in bright sunlight are simply no bother and no need for sunglasses. I never realized how convenient having a flip face is when you come to a town and have to deal with stop lights, just flip the face up, leave the sun visor down and I pretty much ride like that up to about 60 mph before wind becomes loud enough to need to lower it. I do not have a ton of full face helmet experience but several dual sport helmets and dirt bike helmets going back the seventies, the Neotec is the most comfortable padding, good breathing with vents wide open and field of view is top notch (this is a major one for me, I hate helmets that pinch or compress your field of view).

14. Motech

Motech Mr. Logorrhoea

Name:
    Steve
    I agree with Mike on right lid for right bike. RF1000 was awesome sitting up, but sucked in a tuck, had to strain to get a good view ahead. X-Eleven was awesome in a tuck, but noisy straight up.

Also agree with Ken on Neotec. This is my fourth Shoei, and I've also owned Arai, HJC, Bell and a few forgotten brands, and this is my favorite so far. Once I got past the nerdy engineer image obstacle and embraced the flip-face concept, I did my homework, and it came down to Neotec or Schuberth. The Schuberth pinched my face too much, and was hard to put on, so the Neotec it was, and I love it.

George, as far as the visor being moot due to your photo gray lenses, consider when you ride from bright sunlight into a dark canopy of trees. It is darned handy to flip the sunshield up in those instances as opposed to compromising your vision with darkened lenses in the shade, and you could switch to clear glasses to enhance your safety or, as I do now, contacts.