Bay Area rent out of control

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Brian300, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Brian300

Brian300 Disgruntle Dirt Biker

Name:
    Brian
    Seriously!!!!

These landlords are out of control with their prices. I just got slapped with an 8% increase in the Cambrian area.(8% increase is common in the city of SJ)

Too top it off the duplex is got issues that the landlord refuses to fix. Old single pane windows won't lock and old wiring. The breaker needs to be reset once a week. There is also a serious rodent problem due to the broken drywall in the garage. Here are the pics of a few friends I caught in one week. They are getting through the garage from the roof somewhere. I can't leave **** in the garage.

All the other places I have looked for a house to rent is $3200 a month plus. Hell my mortgage in Monterey County was only $1050 and that included the impound account.

image.jpg

Vic likes this.
  2. Brian300

Name:
    Brian
    Here's the other guy..

I have to leave my bike gear in the vehicle to avoid damage

image.jpg

3. Brian300

Name:
    Brian
    I honestly think the rent increase is due to the complaints. Never been late on one payment and keep the place very clean.

Morgan and Gilroy prices are getting just as high too.

Might have to move to Hollister. :idunno

4. 250xfz6

250xfz6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Charles
    There's a looming market crash coming

Ankur, BrianV and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Brian300

Name:
    Brian
    I hope so! I'm keep my fingers crossed so I can buy a house up here once it does.

Art666 likes this.
  6. ZoomSplat

ZoomSplat Refridgerator Magnet User

Name:
    Pat
    I signed a lease in a very nice 1br apt in a quiet part of MH for 1350/mo with a 9mo lease. When the lease was up, they bumped it to 1500, so I signed for a year; I figured every chance they got to re-up the contract, they would use it as an opportunity to change the $. Then, two months into my new lease (remember I've only been there about a year at that point) they send me a letter saying they need to amend the lease because market research indicates that the unit is now worth $1875 but they'll let me stay at $1650. When I moved out a month later, the manager told me they were going to have to renovate it to get the 1650 they were asking for, yet they were trying to charge me that with old appliances and cabinets. She even told me not to bother cleaning the fridge or oven because they were going to replace them anyway...

They were the only place within city limits that had rentals of that square footage and also included a 1-car garage with a single bedroom apt, so I'm not sure how wide the area was that they were looking at, but it sounds like they were just trying to milk their tenants. Same property company also owns the Nob Hill and Safeway plazas that were right around the corner, so I figure they were probably pulling that crap with all the big national corporations and it trickled down to the residential properties.

Vic likes this.
  7. terrytinney

terrytinney Well-Known Member

Name:
    Terry
    I agree, My house has doubled in value in 2-1/2 years

Vic likes this.
  8. TedBell

TedBell Well-Known Member

9. 250xfz6

Name:
    Charles
    Deleted

10. TedBell

any idea how much it costs to rewire a 50+ year old house? not gonna happen unless they are forced to by code. it's an unreasonable request.

11. TedBell

go watch some episodes of doomsday preppers. lol

12. 250xfz6

Name:
    Charles
    I don't believe it will be that extreme but I do believe the Economy is in for some form of crash

13. Andrew

Andrew ... and Mexico will pay for it.

Name:
    Andrew

Charles, why do you think that? Other than that it's sometimes fun to play with these ideas.

What indicators tell you a crash is due?

14. TedBell

we're coming out of a recession, not going into one. If you haven't noticed the real estate market has been on the rise, jobs are on the rise, the market is going up. where have you been? wake up.

NeverSatisfied likes this.
  15. EastBayRider

EastBayRider Old and Slow

Name:
    Bill
    I think were one Domestic Terrorist Attack from a huge hit to the economy ....

16. TedBell

did 911 bring us down?

17. TedBell

ISIS is not going to be here in a month. don't care what the king of Saudi Arabia says. it's just fear mongering.

18. 250xfz6

Name:
    Charles
    I just believe everything is heavily inflated debts too high and the market can't sustain the growth blah blah blah blah blah. I should've never opened my mouth. It will get political and that's just l calling for a dog pile so I'm done

nomorerd likes this.
  19. 250xfz6

Name:
    Charles
    Agreed I don't believe Americans learned anything from the recession.

20. TedBell

what are you basing any of your theories on?