Calstar and Enloe it's that time of year to renew

Discussion in 'General' started by never2old, Feb 7, 2015.

1. never2old

never2old I'm 75 until I put my helmet on...

Name:
    Gary
    Tim likes this.
  2. ratpick

ratpick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Patrick
    Got mine.covered the wife and grandkids too

3. ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley Comfortably Inert

And if you've changed healthcare insurance, check to see if you even need it.

If I'm injured enough to require a heli ride then I'm bound to max out my deductible at the hospital anyhow. An extra $30k flight tacked onto the bill won't change my out of pocket cost once my deductible is reached. YMMV

rideallday likes this.
  4. bmwbob51

bmwbob51 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Been there, done that :cool

5. Gordo

Gordo It isn't broken. It's a upgrade opportunity.

Name:
    Kenney
    I haven't got my notifications for Calstar ?

6. never2old

Name:
    Gary
    What is the expiration date on your current membership?

7. nomorerd

nomorerd no comment

Name:
    Jim
    Thanks Gary Ill check

8. Gordo

Gordo It isn't broken. It's a upgrade opportunity.

Name:
    Kenney
    I m sorry thought you meant due at the first of the year. I was asking my wife if it got paid
    You would have to be crazy not to have that insurance in Hollister
    No one leaves this town by ambulance all by life flight

9. never2old

Name:
    Gary
    Mine just came due as I think a lot of others might have because we signed up for the SBR group discount pretty much at the same time mol I think.

10. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

Spending $35 dollars to provide medical help is cheap insurance and well worth that money. Every membership keeps all of those helicopters flying whether you have air flight on your health care or not.

Better to sign up and not need it than to wish you had signed up!

11. ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley Comfortably Inert

I'd hardly consider them a charity when they send you a $30k bill for a 20 min plane ride. It's silly to pay for a membership if you have decent health insurance. Yes, they're a non-profit but so are a majority of hospitals in the US. Would you pay for hospital insurance in addition to health insurance? Of course not.

dudeonguitar likes this.
  12. TBone

TBone Unedited and uncensored

Name:
    Michele
    Hospitals non-profit?? What a bizarre statement.

Tim likes this.
  13. wfo

wfo Let gravity be your guide.

Name:
    Gerhard
    Yeah, I let it lapse. My Kaiser insurance will provide flight evacuation if needed. Calstar only shows up if the EMTs that show up first determine it's needed. If you're in a remote area, it really won't matter whether I have Calstar or not. What matters is how long it's gonna take to get first responders to my location if I'm injured to the point of needing help getting to a hospital. Calstar, although relatively cheap, seems like a waste of money. Now if I got hurt in a remote area, and could contact them so that they would show up with a helicopter, it would be well worth it, but that's not how it works.

14. Apex

Apex The Pace/10r

Name:
    apex
    No research on the airlift emergency topic but I've noticed a problem with this service: used when not necessary. This is a service that is best for rural areas as in when the nearest bone mender is more than 30 minutes away. What appears to happen too often is slabs are shut down in municipal locations to allow aircraft to land and transport to whatever 'health' site; when a closer site is minutes away with a cager whambulance. Again, not sure how valid above observation may be but one thing for sure, Gestoppo loves to disrupt Americans by closing roads these days and use every green light avenue to do just that.

I'm not advising anyone to cancel air. Maybe helpful in some situations.

15. gino831

gino831 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Gene
    To the bold above. Not true in remote areas, like some of Monterey County. CalStar semi-regularly is the first unit on scene, so they decide and about transportation and sometimes are lifting off with the patient, prior to ground EMTs arriving. Not real common, but it has happened more than just a few times. Probably not going to happen at night, since it is real challenging to see if the landing area is clear without sunlight to help see issues.

16. gino831

gino831 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Gene
    You sir have near zero experience or training and it is showing.

xAFMRacer likes this.
  17. TedBell

TedBell Well-Known Member

I heard the Gestapo is responsible for manipulating the weather this year and causing the atmospheric river that hit CA like a tsunami. They're behind the Oroville Dam spillway collapse (actual Nazi frogman were seen, entering the feather river with scuba gear after they blew a hole in the spillway), all the flooding in the lowlands, and all the road closures and landslides in Santa Cruz County.

CaptRon likes this.
  18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rex
    Which reminds me, mine expired yesterday. Need to renew tonight.

--
    Rex "I only break bones within bicycling distance of a trauma center"

19. mightslip

mightslip Registered slow poke

Name:
    Mike
    You might want to check your medical policy for air distance covered and area/state restrictions along with cost to you if they take you to a hospital other than the one in your Plan policy or Kaiser. I carry both Cal star and Enloe/Reach and my insurance also says it covers me...but, generally medical has a deductible which is covered by overlap with membership in Calstar/Enloe/Reach which easily pays for my membership. And.....These companies sometimes have reciprocity so if I'm in a different state I can still be picked up by someone and covered ( Call the local services if you plan to travel )

You only need to be injured out at say Carnegie to be happy you have CalStar in place. That is more than remote enough with a serious injury, and the ride in a Ambulance is long and twisty to the nearest Head trauma center. The Very small fee we pay to them is not even the cost of 1 dinner. :2cents

gino831 likes this.
  20. John

John Well-Known Member

A lot has changed in the last six months on the air ambulance scene. There aren't many (any?) reciprocity agreements any longer- instead AirMedCare Network has bought REACH, CALSTAR and others; its all one big happy company now. The helicopter network has gone from the about three dozen CALSTAR and REACH helicopters to over 265 bases across 32 states- coverage is especially comprehensive in California, Oregon and western Nevada.

Rex and rideallday like this.