WR250R Drivetrain

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Repair' started by jmil, Jan 9, 2017.

1. jmil

jmil When are we riding?

Name:
    Jeremy
    I put 2/3 of a new drivetrain on my WR250R in my apartment last night. It was quicker than I thought it would be. The old rear sprocket came off easy (i've seen people going to some extreme measures to loosen those old sprocket bolts), new one fit right up. Even used a torque wrench! Ordered a new chain of the same length, pressed the plate and clip on, and presto!

I couldn't get the countershaft sprocket off, not a long enough breaker bar. Have to figure that one out pretty quick. Looks like the original components got about 12k miles, about 50/50 dirt/street. Not bad.

IMG_0973.JPG

IMG_0975.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

IMG_0977.JPG

2. Andy

Andy Wheelie for Safety

Name:
    Andy
    You're going to want to change the front sprocket as soon as possible.

A torque wrench will not work properly in the way that you used it. You will want to tighten the nuts using a long and wrench.

3. Ankur

Ankur Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ankur
    One tip I saw and have successfully used for the rear sprocket: hold the wheel up vertical, put a wrench on the bolts and use your foot to loosen it. Doesnt take much but you really dont want your knuckles hitting the sprocket :bash

Gordo likes this.
  4. jmil

jmil When are we riding?

Name:
    Jeremy
    Yeah I know. I plan to do it before riding.

That's what I did, but I wanted the torque wrench to show in the photo.

Logan likes this.
  5. Andy

Andy Wheelie for Safety

Name:
    Andy
    Not sure what you did, but I assume the torque wrench is in the Allen side of the bolt and you can't use the torque wrench that way.

6. jmil

jmil When are we riding?

Name:
    Jeremy
    I put the torque wrench on the nut and tightened it to 35 N meters per the service manual. Then I put the torque wrench on the bolt and took a picture.

Incidentally the instructions that came with the new sprocket bolts said to apply the torque wrench to the both heads. I use it on the nuts since that's what it said in the service manual.

7. Andy

Andy Wheelie for Safety

Name:
    Andy
    How are you able to get a torque wrench on the nut? The spokes get in the way.

8. GSmi

GSmi Dirtschmob'n

Name:
    Greg
    Good **** working on the bike in the apartment! I've done that too, haha!

One tip for the countershaft drive sprocket is to loosen it while the chain is on. Typically this is the first thing I do when I do chain and sprockets.
    With the bike on a stand, you can then use the rear brake to keep the wheel from spinning. Stand on the right side of the bike to push the brake pedal, and lean over the seat while pushing the rear tire on the ground.
    You can also put the bike in gear, if you'd like, in addition to the using the rear brake.

9. jmil

jmil When are we riding?

Name:
    Jeremy
    That was my technique, but still no go. Gonna pick up a proper breaker bar and give another go.

10. jmil

jmil When are we riding?

Name:
    Jeremy
    ??? I thought you said I had to get the torque wrench on the nut?

On three of the bolts it was easy because of where the spokes are. On the other three, it was fineagle, move the wrench a little, reposition, repeat.

11. EastBayRider

EastBayRider Old and Slow

Name:
    Bill
    :popcorn

GSmi likes this.
  12. GSmi

GSmi Dirtschmob'n

Name:
    Greg
    Nice!

I sent ya a PM

13. Andy

Andy Wheelie for Safety

Name:
    Andy
    This is correct.

Okay, I thought there would not be space at all for the socket and torque wrench on the nut side.

14. Guoseph

Guoseph Well-Known Member

Name:
    Alex
    How big of a bar do you need? I have a 1/2 Drive bar at the farm I can bring back this weekend.

15. ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley Comfortably Inert

Not my fault! :runaway

jmil likes this.
  16. Andy

Andy Wheelie for Safety

Name:
    Andy
    I have an electric impact wrench that works perfect for counter sprocket nuts.

17. EastBayRider

EastBayRider Old and Slow

Name:
    Bill
    In the past I have cut up a old handlebar to make several breaker bars of various sizes......

I assume the breaker bar just needs to slide over the end of a socket wrench ?

I'd put the rear tire back on the bike and hook the chain up and break it that way...

18. jmil

jmil When are we riding?

Name:
    Jeremy
    I may something similar lying around I can use.

19. Ankur

Ankur Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ankur
    If possible, get the impact driver from Andy. If a 1/2 inch ratchet is not good enough to take something off, it scares the hell out of me to use a breaker bar and get even more leverage on it.

20. Logan

Logan On Vacation

Name:
    Logan
    Counter sprocket, make sure your turning it to the right to take it off. Righty Loosey in this case. I'm off all week Jeremy if you want to bring it over and use my air tools.:rad