I have no bike

Discussion in 'Dirt Riders' started by Moose, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Moose

Moose Mercenary

And it's a problem. I sold my trusted and loving 300 to invest into my photography business as well as starting up college again. Now I've broken even and I'm actually making profit...I need to fill that hole in my garage and my heart again.

Due to having the world's ****tiest KTM dealer, I won't consider buying a new KTM. However used is still an option.

So the current considerations are a Husky TX300 and a Beta 300rr. I'm pretty intrigued by the counter balanced 300 motors though...anyone have experience/ridden one?

So who has opinions? I'm in uncharted waters, this is the first non KTM I'll own in 10 years.

2. JayInMilpitas

JayInMilpitas Public spectacle

Name:
    Jay
    First I'd consider what dealerships you have in Bozeman, then of those, who has a solid reputation for parts & support. The best bike in the world won't do you much good if you have to drive to Coeur d'Alene for parts.

Admittedly my knowledge is a bit obsolete. Last time I spent any considerable time in Bozeman, the Hodaka dealer was also the grocery store.

3. tootall424

tootall424 Team Hammered

Name:
    Terra
    The new motor with the inline starter and new frame are very very good.

4. Brian300

Brian300 Disgruntle Dirt Biker

Name:
    Brian
    You can still buy a KTM 300 from a good dealership even if you have to drive 5-8 hours. Stick with what you have been happy with. KTM 300's very rarely have any serious mechanical issues. Therefore, Who needs a dealership. Just buy your parts online if you live in an area that has no dealership.

Don't cut yourself short and settle for anything less. Good luck:thumbup

eroseme, tootall424 and Logan like this.
  5. rideallday

rideallday Well-Known Member

Name:
    Curtis
    Yea, seriously. With all the quality online parts dealers getting stuff to your house in a couple days anywhere in the country I wouldn't worry too much about having access to a stealership. Get a brand new KTM 300 and be the happiest guy around.

6. Logan

Logan On Vacation

Name:
    Logan
    I'm personally looking at the Beta. :devil

7. tootall424

tootall424 Team Hammered

Name:
    Terra
    And then in 3 months you will be personally looking at the GasGas. Then the Sherco. Then the Yamaha. Then the Honda. Then the KTM.

I predict 6 new bikes for Logan in 2017. Who wants to take the over?

GSmi, Ankur and Val like this.
  8. eroseme

eroseme Orange is the new Red

Name:
    Eric
    And you are getting a low-maintenance 2-stroke. Neither my 200 or 150 has ever been to the dealer.

9. Logan

Logan On Vacation

Name:
    Logan
    I just said "looking" :thumbup

10. MikeO

MikeO Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    I have 65 hours on a '17 300XC, but being my first two stroke, I have no ability to compare it to the previous versions. Also, when I've ridden other bikes, 2 or 4 stroke, I've never had an issue with engine vibration. That said, the new counter balanced engine is super smooth. There's some YouTube videos comparing the two and the difference is significant. The only real issue I'm aware of is jetting and it seems there's some non-carb related issue(s) (reeds not sealing, excessive squish, new head & pipe design, ???) making jetting difficult on some bikes. Some people get a bike that is jetted perfectly with little to no changes. Some can't seem to get it right no matter what they do - stock jets/needles, JD Jetting, Lectron, SmartCarb, K&H Reeds, open air box, etc. There's weeks worth of jetting related reading on KTM Talk. I wouldn't let this stop me from getting a '17, though it's likely to be fixed on the '18s. All else seems to be fantastic. I love the new air fork. The bike works very, very well.

11. MikeO

MikeO Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    And he will only pay $10,000 OTD for all 6.

Ankur, tootall424 and Logan like this.
  12. Moose

Moose Mercenary

Thanks Mike, I'm in the Andrew school of thought with jetting. I get a kick out of fiddling and tinkering with my jets.

The nearest reputable KTM shop is in Missoula, which I don't mind driving out there to pick up a bike. But there's still those times that I'll need something that day, and that would mean interacting with the idiots in Bozeman. They're also the Husky dealer, but I'm more interested in the Husky brand because they're supporting Colton. Staying on a PDS bike would also let me reuse my suspension.

On the other hand, the Yamaha/Beta shop is pretty rad. Which has me seriously considering the switch to blue or red.

13. Tharkun

Tharkun Well-Known Member

Name:
    Alex
    Take peoples opinions on jetting with a grain of salt. Some people that complain about it will ALWAYS complain about it

xAFMRacer likes this.
  14. RedwoodRider

RedwoodRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    corey
    And for folks who just like to ride, there are fuel injected bikes with spring forks available also. :thumbup

But if you like to tinker with jets, you can add tinkering with the air fork to the list as well!
    Just hope the air fork tinkering does not occur 2 hours deep into a CC ride when it is raining and your fork suddenly only has 6" of travel....

Moose likes this.
  15. tootall424

tootall424 Team Hammered

Name:
    Terra
    @Moose what is your suspension you want to bring to the new bike? Are you sure it is compatible with a 17 KTM 300XCW or 17 Husky FE300?

16. Moose

Moose Mercenary

I have a Fox PDS RC that fits the 2013 300. I was running it on my 06, which was just a little long.

17. MikeO

MikeO Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    My understanding is the forks do not drop if air pressure is lost. (I do know the air fork can weep fluid when 2 hours deep in the creek on a muddy day if dirt gets up in the seal.) Where's the evidence that the air fork is unreliable? Probably just opinions from the same people that said my FI bike will fail deep in the creek. Or the my estart only (no kicker) bike will fail. Or whatever. I don't let this what if bs stop me from riding.

xAFMRacer and Tharkun like this.
  18. RedwoodRider

RedwoodRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    corey
    What do you think is holding the fork up? The air is the spring, no air, no boing.

Yamaha was one of the only mfgs that stuck to springs last year. This year others went back to springs from air for fork spec.
    Looking at the Vital slideshow from A1, some bikes that last year were air w/ spring assist forks are now spring w/ air assist.

Search around, there are quite a few documented cases of air fork failure, mostly on Kawi's I believe. KRoc @ Glen Helen last year is a prime example. An air fork cost him a moto win. Sure, it was a device the team attached that failed and leaked out air, but if it was a spring fork it would not have done that.

It just begs to ask "why"? The only decent benefit of air is less weight, but that comes at the expense of more complexity (more seals to fail), and the possibility of your fork collapsing.
    With a spring fork you may blow seals and have no damping, but the fork is still at the correct length and travel and therefore easier to get back to the truck.

19. MikeO

MikeO Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Only the right side fork leg is air. I'll see how much it drops with no air pressure and report back. There's no evidence that the new air fork is unreliable. In fact, it seems to be getting very positive reviews. Yes, light weight is so important I dumped FI and went with a carb'ed 2 stroke. I don't miss the 20lbs at all. Honestly the air fork works better than the '14 4CS and it's 3lbs lighter.

20. Anton

Anton Well-Known Member

Name:
    Anton
    https://www.google.com/amp/motocros...r-tech-the-differences-in-fork-technology/amp

This is an article from motocross action, in which they mention which forks are likely to lose air pressure and leave you in a bind.

Of course the Honda 450r has spring now (no air to leak) and the ktm is air. So those are different. But I thought I read that the AER air chamber is in an inner chamber. So less likely to leak and leave you stranded

Logan likes this.