First race in 15 years - Phantom HS

Discussion in 'Dirt Riders' started by Tmeyer37, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Tmeyer37

Tmeyer37 Well-Known Member

Name:
    TJ
    Im planning on doing the Phantom HS next weekend. Its going to be my first time racing in 15 years, should be alot of fun. Just curious how long the route should be? In rinning in the vet C class and wondering if I will need to plan a fuel stop. I have an 06 YZ450 with a WR tank so it is only slightly larger than stock.

2. RBoardman

RBoardman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    The checkered flag in your race will go out at 2 hours, so depending on when you go through the home check it is possible that you could be out there close to 2.5 hours. (This is rare, at most races the C riders only go for 90 minutes)

I think you should be fine on gas. (Assuming you don't ride on the pipe everywhere) But if it were me I would still throw a can in the pits just incase you crash and your bike is upside down leaking a bunch of gas or something. Better safe than sorry.

If I had to guess, I would say the course length for the C riders will be around 12 miles +- 2.

3. RBoardman

Name:
    Ryan
    Here is the flyer since I don't think we have a Phantom thread yet.

I have been going back and forth for a while if I want to race or not. Right now I'm really out of shape. Ever since school started 6 or 7 weeks ago I have have been a combination of really busy and really lazy. And to top it off I have only ridden like 3 times in 2017 so far. Part of me is like, I should just go out there to have fun and not worry about pushing myself. But the other part of me doesn't want to race unless I know I am prepared and will be able to compete for a top spot in the A class. I don't expect to be faster than the kids that get to ride multiple times per week, but I expect to be able to push all the way to the finish and not just be in survival mode the last hour.

Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 4.55.19 PM.png

Tmeyer37 likes this.
  4. Tmeyer37

Name:
    TJ
    Thanks for the info. Yeah I was planning on bringing the can anyways. I am excited, i don't expect to do too great I honestly just want to finish and not get dead last. I am horribly out of shape so that will hold me back for sure. I at least got to get out and ride quite a bit in the last month in a half between the rain.

5. Tmeyer37

Name:
    TJ
    You should go out and have fun anyways. Good excuse to force yourself to ride.

fasttrak likes this.
  6. Tmeyer37

Name:
    TJ
    Is anyone else planning on running this race?

7. xAFMRacer

xAFMRacer better not call saul!

Name:
    Saul
    yes, my daughter will be lining up for the A/B race.

8. RBoardman

Name:
    Ryan
    Here is a video of what you can expect of the course if you have never ridden the upper ranch.

9. RockyRider

RockyRider Active Member

Name:
    Harry
    Couldn't have said this any better for people who I ask why I don't really race anymore. Full time school + working when not in school + little to no money + riding once a month = Struggle city & not much fun.

10. RBoardman

Name:
    Ryan
    How was the race?
    conditions looked perfect! I ended up not going because I had to help work on a group project for school. Plus I also had a pretty hard crash on my mountain bike on Friday, and am hurting pretty bad today so I couldn't have raced anyways.

11. Tmeyer37

Name:
    TJ
    The race was awesome. The conditions were really good. It was a little dusty in some areas but I think that is to be expected when the race starts at 130 in the afternoon. I had a lot of fun. I had a couple issues like crazy arm pump and my helmet camera getting knocked off. I found it but it cost me a good 15 minutes looking for it.

stevebaum, fasttrak and dtfastbear like this.
  12. fasttrak

fasttrak Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ken

The fact you had fun and made it home in one piece sounds like a successful return to racing.

13. Tmeyer37

Name:
    TJ

It definitely was a success. My goal was to finish and that I did I learned a lot too, my fitness while seems ok trail riding isnt close to where I need it for racing, even in the C Vet class. I found myself really fast in a lot of sections but didnt have the strength or energy to keep that pace. Also wearing my Garmin camera on top of my helmet was a huge mistake as I almost lost my $400 dollar camera and it cost me about 15 minutes searching in the woods to find it after I smacked it on a branch. It broke the whole mount which was surprising. I am now going to get one of those proshot mounts that puts the camera on the "face mask" portion of your helmet. I think I am gonna hit the gym and keep getting out on my back as much as possible and try again at the Primetime HS at Metcalf, this time with a goal of a top ten finish.

14. Tmeyer37

Name:
    TJ
    During the "rider's meeting" they said there was a website where they would post photos from the race. Anyone that was there remember what that was?

15. xAFMRacer

Name:
    Saul
    look up RUTS on Facebook.

edit: and PoundBound Racing

16. RBoardman

Name:
    Ryan
    Nice, glad to hear you are motivated to get better.

And I agree, never put a helmet cam on the top of your helmet in a race with lots of trees.

17. xAFMRacer

Name:
    Saul
    My kid had a mediocre day in her opinion. She was the only woman signed up in A Women so I think that took a bit of her spark out. Her and Kacy Martinez (AA Women) were the only to females in the AA/A/B race. This was my daughter's first race in the main event (AA Race) with all the hardest of sections.

I tried to convince her to work on her OA result but she was like, yeah, that is not going to be good with all the AA/A/B men. But I think she did pretty good all things considered. She finished 90th OA and only the Top 6 OA lapped her.

We left during the C race and headed up the AMA West Hare Scramble out in Gorman. There she did much better but still was not fully on her game. She got the holeshot and lead the 1st half or so and then wadded in a sandwash. Took her 2ish+ minutes to get herself out and with about her to continue. At this point well outside the top 10 OA but she put her head down and pushed. Climbed back to 2nd in A Women and 6 OA. So that was much better. She was able to identify a few things in this race to work on and improve her next finish!

This weekend, D36 race a Carnegie!!

Rex and GSmi like this.
  18. RBoardman

Name:
    Ryan
    ^^^If it doesn't get rained out. Looks like multiple days of rain in the forecast, which is crazy considering it was 80 degrees last week.

19. xAFMRacer

Name:
    Saul
    did i mention i have my fingers crossed for lots of rain this week? i really could use a weekend off. i have put over 3k miles on the motorhome since i bought it in February.....

20. GSmi

GSmi Dirtschmob'n

Name:
    Greg
    Factory Team Manager/Mechanic/Driver/Dad, Saul

Rex likes this.