2018 2T Electronic injection will come on EXC, XC and XC-W models

Discussion in 'KTM Info' started by Andy, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Andy

Andy Wheelie for Safety

Name:
    Andy
    KTM-EXC300-EFI-2018-768x443.jpg

KTM EXC 250/300 EFI 2018 – ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION 2 STROKE ENDURO
    KTM has finally confirm 2018 2 stroke EXC models will come with EFI (Electronic fuel injection). The base engine for EFI will be 2017 model and new revolutionary KTM EFI 2 stroke models will be presented in June 2017.

Its really an open secret but now KTM finally confirms what we all were expecting for long time. 2T Electronic injection will come on EXC, XC and XC-W models. Bike presentation will be officially presented to press and news in June 2017, we got this info direct from KTM internal sources.

Also KTM had problems with euro 4 and some KTM dealers cant anymore sell 2017 models in their country’s. But new 2018 model will come with euro 4 and it will easy pass euro 4 with elections fuel injection and lower emissions. But there is new problem for KTM, in 2020 we will have new big problem called euro5. But we all hope KTM will find solution for this and make EXC and XC models legal for street.

KTM EXC250/300 2018 EFI
    The 2018 models will be based on 2017 exc engine, only big different will make EFI from mikuni. And this is reason why 2017 models used Mikuni carburetor and not from Keihin. For first time KTM EXC250 and EXC 300 2018 models will be official raced in Austria at most popular Red bull race called Erzbergrodeo 2017.

Andreas Lettenbichler and his friend Lars Enoeckl are testing new models in big variations in both elevation and temperatures from super cold to super hot. The most reason for resisting the EFI in 2stroke bikes is cost and complexity but now with new emission standard its time for EFI on 2 stroke bikes also. Please share our The Dirtbike Rider Facebook Page with your friends, and get last updates and news about KTM EXC 2018 models.

The features and advantages of KTM EFI 2018
    • Increase fuel efficiently
    • Better throttle response
    • Programmable fuel map

LoopDuplicate and Neepuk like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Wheelie for Safety

Name:
    Andy
  3. TheGenErik1

TheGenErik1 Dirt Forum Mod

Name:
    Erik
    In Europe, it doesn't say anything about bringing them to the US.

4. Neepuk

Neepuk Going, Going, Gone

Name:
    Chris
    It's about damn time! Out here a single day's ride can range from 4500 feet to as high as 12,000 feet. Fuel injection is the way to go!

LoopDuplicate likes this.
  5. LoopDuplicate

LoopDuplicate Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Would be sweet if they could get green stickers or be registered for the road. I always want to give 2 strokes a try but I like my dual sports and year-round riding in Hollister Hills. If they could green sticker 2 strokes, I think I'd go out and buy a trials bike.

6. stevebaum

stevebaum I'll seize the day tomorrow...

Name:
    Steve
    Anyone knowledgeable in this area know if the fuel injected 2-t w/ lower emissions will be green sticker?

LoopDuplicate likes this.
  7. GSmi

GSmi Dirtschmob'n

Name:
    Greg
    I thought KTM EFI was only mapped in the rage of upto 8500ft :thinking
    Since it's a open system, and doesn't sniff the exhaust, the EFI cannot adjust its parameters like an closed system.

[Updated with proper closed vs open term usage; I had it backwards]

8. Neepuk

Name:
    Chris
    I'm fine with that. I live at 7500 feet so in order to go down to Moab or sea level I'd commonly have to change carburetor jetting so that I'm not running too lean and cause engine damage. With EFI that problem goes away. If I run higher in elevation my bike may be a little rich if it will only adjust to run optimally at 8500 feet, but at least it won't blow itself up by running on the rich side.

GSmi likes this.
  9. BDORider

BDORider 2011 YZ125, 2012 KTM 350, 2011 R1200GSA

Name:
    Zaphod
    CL ad this week had a guy selling his 2014 300XC with a CA tag in San Diego. Texted him, said it was a bit hard but doable....

New tagged KTM 2-stroke = drool.

10. eroseme

eroseme Orange is the new Red

Name:
    Eric
    Do you mean EFI in general - like on an EXC? I rode mine up to 11,000 in Colorado and it ran great, but lost significant power, obviously.

GSmi and LoopDuplicate like this.
  11. GSmi

GSmi Dirtschmob'n

Name:
    Greg
    I do not know if all closed EFI systems (such as cars, street bikes, adventure bikes) have a a similar range for elevation.

I recall from this video the elevation range is noted.

12. Andrew

Andrew ... and Mexico will pay for it.

Name:
    Andrew
    Premix through a conventional throttle body seems like half a solution when direct fuel injection is available from snow and marine applications.

I wonder if DFI might be blocked by patents and this is the best available alternative.

Even though, this will likely be a great step forward, particularly to give 2-strokes better fuel economy.

Rex likes this.
  13. fasttrak

fasttrak Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ken
    I am not so sure how "great" this advancement really will turn out to be. From everything I am hearing is the ECU will be locked to a specific VIN and that there will be little chance to modify due to CARB regulations and the potential penalties for selling offending software or services. There have been alternative carb's out for years that offer mechanical jetting changes and they work pretty good. I am now using the Lectron in my TX300 and the fueling is pretty damned good, not perfect but I hate FI perfect as it tends to lose a bit of it's soul in the translation.

I do not see the need to have CARB strong arm the industry like they are currently, the future of 2T does not seem long for the US market.

As soon as gravity stops feeding my carburetor I will consider FI but at that point it will most likely be a 4T as there won't be an option for a 2T. In the end I saw this coming when release of the '18 model was pushed back so far from a normal release year for KTM, very glad I got my carbed 2T now.

14. Neepuk

Name:
    Chris

C'mon Man, Trumps rolling back all that emissions crap! The rest of the US market's going to rule. It's only you suckas that have to deal with CARB that are going to lose the 2 stroke market, the rest of the country is going to be riding around on plated 2-strokes with no emissions that so ever, and rolling coal in unrestricted diesel pickups with no DPF, EGR, or DEF required. Send all those California VW diesels out of state where smog checks are a thing of the past while you're at it.
    :biggrin

15. afmoto

afmoto working on quality laps around the sun

Name:
    Alex
    FML, even fuel injected KTMs are about Trump??! Didn't you just post that riding season opened in Colorado? You need some throttle therapy my friend! :lol
    btw, I'm glad that I'm starting out with a used KTM 300 but if this new one turns out to be the bee's knees, I will probably have one in my garage soon after they're released!

Neepuk likes this.
  16. tootall424

tootall424 Team Hammered

Name:
    Terra
    the current 2017 KTM 300xc is light years different than the one you bought....

17. afmoto

afmoto working on quality laps around the sun

Name:
    Alex
    Of course, and it's also four times more expensive! I'm taking the same approach as I did with the Harley: buy a used one first to make sure I like it (or in that case, that the wife likes it), and once that's established, go get a brand new one. I told Ken @fasttrak that my last 2-stroke dirtbike was an evil '98 CR250 that was trying to kill me, so even buying the used 300 was kind of a big leap of faith for me. Had I not liked the used 300, I would lose very little (if any) money on it, but if I bought a brand new 300 and hated it, I would lose thousands of dollars, especially when EFI is announced.

TheGenErik1 and tootall424 like this.
  18. fasttrak

fasttrak Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ken

No doubt there, from green spring to red spring this is a bike of many faces. I just prefer the one screaming and wailing opposed to that placid and serene look the green spring offers :biggrin

The fact there is no vibration is still a bit odd to me. The exhaust note is dead nuts perfect, especially when it get's on the pipe. That tiny rear wheel and all that horsepower make for some seriously fun play on the bike. the lack of my arm-pump not getting shaken loose automatically means I need a new strategy.

The good thing about these bikes is the ability to tune the hit how ever you like. You can tune the biggest portion of the hit right out so all you get is a slight wail and not the brutal 20% power right to 100% that gets folks nervous.

19. tootall424

tootall424 Team Hammered

Name:
    Terra
    Then by all means do not ride one of these new 2017 KTM 250/300's. I rode @BSnow197A's a couple times and im in LOVE!

20. Brian300

Brian300 Disgruntle Dirt Biker

Name:
    Brian
    I don't give a **** if it's green or red sticker! I'm gonna be the first lucky bastard to get on the waiting list:twofinger.

RobertHaas, eroseme and xAFMRacer like this.