Our roads really got hammered this winter

Discussion in 'General' started by NeverSatisfied, May 17, 2017.

1. NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied James Lucier

Name:
    James
    Code:
    http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/government/departments-i-z/resource-management-agency/public-works/road-conditions-closures
    I wonder what it will be like if next winter is as wet..?

2. Xler8

Xler8 America's Toast.

Next year you'll get a dirt bike. :)

fasttrak likes this.
  3. Tim

Tim 2017 RZR Turbo 2013 BMW R1200GSA

That's okay! We are forced to pay 5.2 billion to fix em :devil

4. Alanrider7

Alanrider7 Sportbike Whisperer

Jerry wants everyone to take the train. :laughing:laughing:laughing

high speed fail 1.jpg

5. eroseme

eroseme Orange is the new Red

Name:
    Eric
    Last week I looked around for pics and status on the Julia Pfiefer, Phyfur, FyFur, bridge. Found nothing. Probably killing a lot of businesses.

6. NeverSatisfied

Name:
    James
  7. eroseme

Name:
    Eric
    Thanks James. I saw all of those demo pics - I was wondering about construction pics. Hopefully they have started construction by now. Did you read the comments? Sheesh - the ******* quotient is off the chart these days. I guess there have always been *******s, but now they like to publicize their *******ness for everyone to see (read).

I bet NCF is just a demolition derby. It's so much fun to ride, but I think I'll steer clear of it.

NeverSatisfied likes this.
  8. PorradaVFR

PorradaVFR Well-Known Member

Name:
    Al
    I’ve avoided 35 towards Black / Summit since the landslide - anyone know if that’s even being repaired yet?

9. TedBell

TedBell Well-Known Member

one of the pics in the series of 27 demo pics was from Oroville Dam and they attributed it to the Pfiefer Bridge...dummy's.

10. NeverSatisfied

Name:
    James
    There's no apostrophe in dummys, dummy... unless it shows ownership - like in " A dummy's remark is self evident"

Tim likes this.
  11. TedBell

It was my auto correct James, I just didn't bother to correct it. Thanks for the English grammar lesson.
    :thumbup

12. eroseme

Name:
    Eric
    I think the plural would be "Dummies" - like in the "(insert topic) for Dummies" series of books, as in "Bridge Repair for Dummies". Grammar is so much fun! But it's like Omar says - "Once you are in The Game, prepare to meet your maker". He did not really say that - sort of paraphrasing. (from the HBO series "The Wire")

13. TedBell

Take it up with James, he appears to be more concerned about it than I am.

14. treelogger

treelogger Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ralph
    Yes and no. CalTrans is up there, working really hard. They are currently digging a bypass around the "great divide", presumably using state park land. The neighbors up there report that they visit the construction site frequently, and bring the crews coffee and cookies, and that work is continuing at night and on weekend.

But: The bypass is not intended for traffic, but only to enable construction of a real fix. The real fix will take a long time (I've heard a rumor really late in 2017 or sometime in 2018), and will be expensive (the most recent estimate is $37M, making it the single most expensive damage).

15. kumu

kumu Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dale
    Eric, we rode south coast ridge road a couple of weeks ago, did some long out and backs, almost no one around. Went to Gorda for one of the lead pastries and coffee, Hwy. 1 back to NCF was deserted. A few cars on NCF but they pulled out for us. Campgrounds about half full. Would like to go back and hit again!

eroseme likes this.
  16. suzbandit987

suzbandit987 Stop stalking me

Name:
    J
    Man's, @TedBell just's can't's catch's a's break's here's.

TedBell likes this.
  17. bmwbob51

bmwbob51 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    I took Black Road to 35 and Summit last month without a problem. Zyante showed closed then, but Can't remember if Mountain Charlie was open. I took Summit to Mount Madonna on the dirt, I just took Eureka Canyon all the way too.

PorradaVFR likes this.
  18. PorradaVFR

PorradaVFR Well-Known Member

Name:
    Al
    Good to know. I figured it would be hard enough for locals to get around up there so I’ve regarded it as closed. Sounds like it’s ok to check it out.

19. bmwbob51

bmwbob51 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    There were signs out of Corralitas showing Eureka closed, but goes through to Summit.

20. treelogger

treelogger Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ralph
    CalTrans was working on Summit Road (the segment of Hwy 35 between Zayante and Hwy 17), and had it completely closed for a while. I think that was a week or two ago. I think they probably re-opened by now, not because I've actually taken it, but because the big lighted sign is gone. Check the CalTrans web site if you really need to know.

Santa Cruz county has lots of work to do to fix Zayante. I don't know how far down you can get; I've been about a mile down a few weeks ago to visit friends, but I don't know whether you can get all the way to Felton yet. Santa Cruz county is very good about updating their road status web site.