What happen to all the electric bike HYPE

Discussion in 'Dirt Riders' started by RandomRooster, May 17, 2017.

1. RandomRooster

RandomRooster Member

Name:
    Eric
    Did reality set in? They aren't that impressive or just lack value being so overpriced.

2. LoopDuplicate

LoopDuplicate Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jeff
    I don't have one and haven't ridden one, but I've been on rides with people who are on them and they seem pretty sweet. I rode with a guy who was on a Zero and he took it through all the A trails in the Ridge Runners New Years ride and said it handled pretty nice. I'm totally intrigued by electric bikes even though I sometimes love the sound of combustion!

3. RedwoodRider

RedwoodRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    corey
    The hype is strong with this one!

513173.jpg

But $15k is a bit much for the moto slush fund, I have been trying to bolster it with some day trading! :devil

For what I want, an Alta Redshift is for sure in the future. That thing is the real deal, not just an oversized electric mtb.
    It won't be the only bike, I have a YZ250FX which is an awesome bike as well. But for increased access and riding around these parts, silent electric is the only hope. Backyard tracks will be everywhere again!

Only thing holding electric back at this point is range. Once they can be ridden for 6+ hours on a charge, I wouldn't need anything else.

Go test ride one, then start saving!

Instagram Link

DaveJ and Anton like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Wheelie for Safety

Name:
    Andy
    I have not rode the Alta, but I have rode the Zero. The one area of concern for me is throttle response. I still prefer the the throttle response from a single 450 or 650 than the electric.

5. RBoardman

RBoardman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    The instant throttle engagement on the Alta's is better than any bike I have ridden before. Tons of power with zero delay. I could definitely get used to riding one if I didnt race enduros.

DaveJ likes this.
  6. BDORider

BDORider 2011 YZ125, 2012 KTM 350, 2011 R1200GSA

Name:
    Zaphod
    I rode one a few weeks ago at Metcalf. It was a lot of fun - with more range (and a lower price) I could see one in my garage.

7. Anton

Anton Well-Known Member

Name:
    Anton
    Price and Range still deterrents for me too. Price will drop and range will increase eventually.

8. kumu

kumu Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dale
    I see a lot of Zero's in Santa Cruz area.

9. aig

aig Well-Known Member

Name:
    Alan
    An electric dirt bike like the Alta is in my future. However, three issues need addressing before I buy: (1) range must improve, (3) weight must be lower, (4) cost must be competitive.

It's close, but not there yet.

Al

3stripes likes this.
  10. Gordo

Gordo It isn't broken. It's a upgrade opportunity.

Name:
    Kenney
    Price and plate

11. RBoardman

Name:
    Ryan
    Weight felt fine to me.
    I didn't think it felt any heavier than my 250 xc, and it definitely felt lighter than any 4 strokes I have ridden.

12. GSmi

GSmi Dirtschmob'n

Name:
    Greg
    You'd have to imagine that price will come down over time and range will increase as the technology matures. Especially as the ecosystem of battery tech matures; Samsung, Tesla, other auto OEMs investing, etc.

The OEMs know these are atop the demand decision tree for customers so they'll look to find the equilibrium.

It would be a bummer if range/ride duration was like storage on the iPhone; i.e. the price point is based on range & range is fixed. Then again, other platforms in that segment allow you to boost storage with aftermarket accessories.

13. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

I put them in the "new technology" bucket and from a business stand point that usually just means it takes time for them to get the wrinkles worked out, to bring the price down, and for users to figure out how to fit it into their lives to their advantage.

The one cool thing that I have seen popping up are inner city MX tracks. Electric bikes only. Sort of like what K-Speed is for indoor karting.

And I could see some small backyard tracks popping up here and there as well, and perhaps even more street park style riding going on. I even considered getting one and building a track that went around my house. Without any dust, what could anyone complain about?

Oh...one last thing. In the mountain bike world, there are now options that are coming closer and closer to the dirt bike world. That is, mountain bikes with some power and decent suspensions. You can get a pedal-assist electric assist bike these days, with a decent amount of power, and have a lot of fum with all the other mountain bikers without anyone really noticing that you have a motor. I mean...there are some mountain bikes trails that I have done where you see no one for 20 miles or so. Mainly hikers and such. So...what's the harm of having an electric motor to zip around on?

So I see a lot of really cool things developing for electric stuff.

14. RBoardman

Name:
    Ryan
    Any examples here in the US you can share with us?

15. xAFMRacer

xAFMRacer better not call saul!

Name:
    Saul
    Baltimore and Oakland.. he did not say a DIRT MX track. in those cities, the entire roadway system is an MX track!

GSmi likes this.
  16. Tim

Tim 2017 RZR Turbo 2013 BMW R1200GSA

I would bet that mainstream E-Bikes are not too far behind this, EV :rad

My-Bolt.jpg

17. aig

aig Well-Known Member

Name:
    Alan
    Yeah, that's what I've heard. However, I very much like the slow, super technical stuff. Lifting the bike becomes an issue.

Al

18. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

19. bmwbob51

bmwbob51 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    If they look anything like this, I'll pass :lol

LoopDuplicate likes this.
  20. Tim

Tim 2017 RZR Turbo 2013 BMW R1200GSA

Looks better than that girl's BMW Z3 thing, YOU drive :lol:lol