GPS routes resource?

Discussion in 'Dirt Riders' started by julienSF, May 19, 2017 at 11:33 AM.

1. julienSF

julienSF New Member

Name:
    julien
    Hi, I'm new here, 1st post!.

I'm looking for GPS resources for off-road and dual-sport routes in Norcal and more specifically the area East of Sacramento: From Auburn, Stanislauss NF, eldorado NF and all the way up to Plumas NF.
    Is there anything crowd-sourced like https://www.mtbproject.com/ for mountain biking?
    I found RidePlanet-USA, which is great but limited to designated riding areas.
    Any good sites?

2. KTMrc

KTMrc Dino

Name:
    Randy
  3. Andy

Andy Wheelie for Safety

Name:
    Andy
  4. prschuyler

prschuyler Well-Known Member

Name:
    Phil
    Trail Tech's RideLeader (actually OHVTrails.net) was/ is a great source for crowed sourced GPS routes. I say "was" because they are currently giving it a make over which is taking forever.

OHVTrails.net was the crowd sourced data site where users could upload and download routes/ tracks of places all over the country. I found most of the uploaded routes were in the Pacific Northwest which is where Trail Tech is.
    RideLeader was where you could edit these routes and tracks. It was a very powerful but quirky program that I spent many hours mapping trails at my favorite riding areas. The way it worked for trail "building" was any trail you could see on a satellite image, you could draw a line over. When you were done the program would turn that into a GPS file to upload to your device. I use Trail Tech's Voyager.
    Trail Tech explained to me that the reason for the change is that RideLeader used the GoogleEarth Plug-in which Google has recently eliminated. So Trail Tech took the opportunity to change RideLeader to a web based program (rideleader.com) with a friendlier user interface but they seem totally stalled.
    I'm really bummed because I used it a lot and even with it's quirks it was very easy to build trails. I suspect that not many people took the time to use RideLeader and the Voyager to this level of detail. It was time consuming but for me made riding much more enjoyable. I currently know of nothing like it that is as easy to use.

I hope they get their act together soon.

Phil

5. KTMrc

KTMrc Dino

Name:
    Randy
  6. julienSF

julienSF New Member

Name:
    julien
    Thanks,
    Being new to this site I completely overlooked the GPX forum, great resource. The Owlsheadgps is a good resource too and will help to string multiple tracks together.

7. Brian300

Brian300 Disgruntle Dirt Biker

Name:
    Brian
    We all really need to stop posting GPS tracks. The greenies just use it against us. The internet is our worst enemy. If people want the share them they should PM each other and exchange info. It's best that way..

Davo and TheGenErik1 like this.
  8. musicman

musicman Summer is here, LET'S GO!

Name:
    Brian
    exactly what I was looking for!!!! I have always thought about going from Southern Cal to Northern Cal on Forest service roads and possible single tracks. THIS is what I needed!! THanks guys!