2017 Boise Ridge Riders Idaho City 100 - Jun 3rd/4th

Discussion in 'Dirt Riders' started by tootall424, May 19, 2017.

Added to Calendar: 06/03/17, 06/04/17
  1. tootall424

tootall424 Team Hammered

Name:
    Terra
    srhodes likes this.
  2. RBoardman

RBoardman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Too far of a drive to ride 6+ hours of whoops and high speed trail.

3. tootall424

tootall424 Team Hammered

Name:
    Terra
    Thanks for your opinion. Care to share what you think of Ryan Dungey, The Golden State Warriors, or adult acne?

Brian300 and srhodes like this.
  4. TheGenErik1

TheGenErik1 Dirt Forum Mod

Name:
    Erik
    If you can, stick around and head up to Stanley, you won't be disappointed by the riding.

5. RBoardman

Name:
    Ryan
    I just feel like everyone hypes up that race so much like it is the best trails in the world, and when I rode it for my first time I wasn't impressed. Maybe my expectations were too high in expecting pristine singletrack, and not 100+ miles of rough, rough, trails... And now that it is not an isde qualifier, I'm not surprised that hardly anyone from d36 shows up.

6. ghostbuster

ghostbuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Pete
    My brother moved up to that area last year and keeps telling me to come up with a bike. Have any gps tracks from the ride you did up there so I can make best use of my time?

7. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

8. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

9. TheGenErik1

Name:
    Erik
    I will have to ask my buddy that led us. We rode 5 days and every day was amazing.

ghostbuster likes this.
  10. RBoardman

Name:
    Ryan
    JohnCocktosten and momagna like this.
  11. Dyrtmon

Dyrtmon Active Member

Name:
    Bill
    Totally agree , but me thinks the snow will be a bit deep on 6/3ish..

12. srhodes

srhodes Well-Known Member

Should be good.. have fun! Make sure to hydrate well at the local watering hole, just like you did in 2012!! and Oscar say hi to Justin L.... good dude to be on the line with for 2 days..

13. tootall424

tootall424 Team Hammered

Name:
    Terra
    Let's forget 2012!

14. tootall424

tootall424 Team Hammered

Name:
    Terra
    Wow. What an event. If you are an Enduro rider, this is not to be missed. Doing one day is equivalent to some of the tougher District 36 Enduros that are 100+ miles, but then when you add in the bike prep, parc ferme, and the second day it really separates the cream from the milk. This was me under the Red Bull banner at the end of day 2 with barely enough energy to do a combo 270c.png✌️270b.png✋️

IMG_8604.JPG

The last time I was in Idaho City was in 2012 with a broken collar bone and I spent the weekend with @srhodes at the bar drinking the pain away. Yadda yadda yadda I am back in 2017.

I flew home from Copenhagen on Thursday directly to Boise and @BSnow197A and I rented a car and headed up to Idaho City on Friday morning. We found the Team Hammered crew already working on bikes at around 10am. We had 7 riders this year and a support crew of about 6. After installing some new Nitro Mousse bibs on donated tyres from @Andrew :rad on my bike we all headed out for a quick jetting loop. After we came back they told us that we had to clean our bikes because the USFS is trying to stop spreading noxious weeds. We explained that we rode here, but they didnt care. Hand washing a bike is a PITA without a hose. We then signed up, and put our bikes thru tech into impound.
    IMG_8587.JPG

Saturday morning came especially quick due to my lack of sleep and jet lag from Europe. We had the rider meeting, I got geared up, and took my bike out of impound. We get 10 min in the morning to prep your bike without starting it. I quickly programmed my ICO in ISDE mode, and rolled up to the line. I didnt use the cold start and it took a bit to get started and we were 42 seconds into our minute when I rolled out. Austin @teamhammered was on row 18 before me and @Oscar was on row 20 behind me. The first test started right outside of town and I was not ready for it. We all were hydrating a lot and I had to pee right before the test started. There was a queue of riders that showed up right as I was ready. I ended up 14th out of 21 in A2 (250 2t, 450 4t) in the first test. Good, but not great. The second test didnt go much better and I got 16th in that test. Austin was having bike problems and he had to bleed his rear brakes in some tests, while fouling plugs every 15-20 miles. We stopped to help him throughout the day. Test three was a long uphill fast fire road. I really felt great in this test. I was able to really use the MotoDoc technique of weighting the front wheel and attacking the corners and power sliding the rear around. I had been riding my bike in map switch 1 pretty much all the time since I bought it, but I could not get it to pop the front end up like I wanted to double over the whoops. I switched to map switch 2 in this test and it really worked. I got 10th and my best result of the day. This event has a lot of singletrack in the transfers. Super tight and felt like flowy mountain bike trails. The tests were very fast, but the transfers were mostly singletrack and a few fire roads. Test 4 went well also and I really felt in the groove with another 10th place. The final test was the grass track. I felt good at the beginning, started to catch the guy ahead of me, and then made mistakes in the dust allowing the guy behind to catch me. I pushed in the final straight right before the finish and in the final right hand turn I lost the front end and dumped the bike in a pile of silt. Whelp. So much for a good result. I got up quickly and cruised thru the finish in 11th. That placed me 11th in A2 and 61st Overall on Day 1 out of 100 A riders and 264 total riders on day 1. Silver medal. Not too shabby.

IMG_8595.JPG

In our 15 minutes after the final check I changed my air filter, gassed up, and cleaned and lubed my chain. Not much else to do on my bike.

Sunday was rough. I didnt sleep much, going to the bathroom many times throughout the night, and waking up to cramps in my left hamstring. I seriously considered just not riding on Sunday. But as @Ehsan can attest to, you dont need to be fast, you just need to be fast enough and let the attrition knock out your competition. I quickly squashed those thoughts and pulled on my vile smelling gear and got ready to pull my bike out of impound. I was just going thru the motions and keeping the wheels moving on check 1 and check 2. Finishing around 11th out of 19 and then @Oscar told me that the speed average was 24mph and I need to stop taking breaks and get moving. The grass track went even worse than the previous day because it was so tore up and I constantly slid out in multiple corners and dropped the bike once pretty bad. I showed up the first route check 16 minutes late. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. 960 points! 1 for every second. I really had to go to the bathroom and I was ready to piss myself but I got distracted at the next route check. I was supposed to go thru 16 minute after my time, but I just rushed right through and didnt even look at the clock. Double F. In hindsight looking at the results I went through 7 minutes before I should have and accrued another 420 points. The remaining checks I just assumed 16 minutes late and got additional 420 points each time. The final test was a blur. I just tried to keep my mediocre speed up, not make mistakes, and follow those yellow arrows. I finished the day in 13th out of 19th with a Bronze medal. I was beat. I couldnt wait to get out of my gear, and have a cold beer in my blistered hands. I forgot to tighten my left ODI lock on grip after day 1 and it rotated on day 2. What a PITA on the long hillclimbs and the endless downhills. I definitely used the awesome @got technique of riding the edge of the trails and constantly searching for smooth lines around the whoops and then doubling the ones I couldnt avoid. This made the ride much smoother and conserved my energy. The only downside of this was getting impaled by tree branches and on test 3 my left arm went numb when I got speared in the shoulder by a branch. Gotta avoid those in the future.

IMG_8596.JPG

Great great event. Thanks again to all the Team Hammered crew for schlepping my bike and gear up there and back. Also the suspension recommendations from GMan at SixFiveO worked great. Finally, James at Mach1 came in clutch with some clutch microfiche images that he texted to us on Friday afternoon.

Would do again with a couple more days between a Europe trip and the event.

PS. They even give out these cool DNF stickers! Rick earned his on day 1!

IMG_8594.JPG

15. 6thGear

6thGear R.I.P Team 1

Name:
    Vin
    Great write up report Terra

16. Brian300

Brian300 Disgruntle Dirt Biker

Name:
    Brian
    Hell yeah. Looks like quite an adventure. We need more ride reports like this:rad

17. EricB

EricB Modulator

Name:
    Eric
    Fun read, terra. :thumbup

18. tootall424

tootall424 Team Hammered

Name:
    Terra
    Sunday grass track test

IMG_0031.JPG

TheGenErik1 likes this.
  19. TheGenErik1

Name:
    Erik
    Nice, keep posting pictures so I can live vicariously through Team Hammered.

20. tootall424

tootall424 Team Hammered

Name:
    Terra
    Brian300 likes this.