July 2017 More miles, more new stuff and new adventures

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by momagna, Jul 14, 2017.

1. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

Seeing as June 2017 was a load of fun why stop there???

Made it home from MN (about 6,000 miles of driving) to this new adventure...

July 4th Special Train at Niles Canyon..... (Had to hurry back from MN (July 1st Noon) to make this train at 10 AM July 4th)

Here is the steam engine and a totally refurbished reticulated car (only one as I was told that runs and is now newly air conditioned!).

DSC_0037.JPG DSC_0045.JPG DSC_0059.JPG DSC_0072.JPG DSC_0124.JPG

2. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

Steam with a run by!!!!

DSC_0127.JPG DSC_0129.JPG DSC_0142.JPG DSC_0149.JPG DSC_0159.JPG

3. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

As I always tell my kids.....

It never hurts to ask!!!

YES!!!!! Bucket List item for me! WHOO WHOO!!!!

DSC_0183.JPG DSC_0192.JPG DSC_0195.JPG DSC_0205.JPG

I am ABSOLUTELY sure he is pretty much wishing HE was inside the Steam Engine where I am riding! WHOOT!!!!

DSC_0227.JPG

JayInMilpitas likes this.
  4. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

So after riding in the steam engine I was on fb and saw a one day event on haying/mowing/baling with horses! Oh YES!!

Another bucket list item for me and it is only the 4th of July. Filled my gas tank and off to Idaho!

DSC_0300.JPG
    This is an Idaho surplus store!! Yes, everything!

DSC_0321.JPG

The ranch we are visiting for this one day clinic is in its 7th generation! Each horse is named after A.J.'s great- or great-great grandparents.... Brabants (drafts for farming)

DSC_0349.JPG

The tin is actually new AJ took vinegar and salt and using a garden sprayer sprayed it so it rusted and since there is copper underneath this is as far as the "rust" will occur.

These Brabants are pulling a mower to mow the hat.
    DSC_0363.JPG

Neighbor's Spotted Drafts with one of the hay fields in the background.
    DSC_0366.JPG

Brian300 likes this.
  5. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

Equipment for use all pulled behind horses or the horse walks around and over the bar to run the baler.

DSC_0386.JPG DSC_0411.JPG

Chuck Wagon hand made by owner of wagon....

DSC_0435.JPG

Yes, EXCELLENT food once again! Pear Cobbler!

DSC_0437.JPG

Snow Shovel it was displayed but no snow to show us how it works. The step handle moves the blade up I believe.

DSC_0440.JPG

Brian300 likes this.
  6. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

DSC_0474.JPG DSC_0475.JPG DSC_0516.JPG DSC_0533.JPG DSC_0538.JPG

880jedi and Brian300 like this.
  7. BillST4s

BillST4s PNW Chapter

Name:
    Bill
    Another railroad museum for you to check out is the Western Railway Museum in Suisun City. It specializes in old electric railroad cars.

http://www.wrm.org/

momagna likes this.
  8. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

We set out to sit on the trailer in the shade across the hay field being mowed. The two rows to our left had already been mowed when this happened.... Tony never knew the ditch existed! So we fixed the problem and sat on the already mowed section.

DSC_0400.JPG

DSC_0404.JPG DSC_0405.JPG DSC_0407.JPG

9. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

For some of you who might not like horses as much .....

DSC_0387.JPG DSC_0448.JPG

DRider likes this.
  10. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

So for raking up the cut hay these horses are using a hay rake. Each horse is attached with the pronged front of the rake in front of them. They push and pull it around and can turn that rake quickly and efficiently. As they sweep up the hay (same as the skid steer did above but gathers a lot more with the large rake) the teamster brings the hay to the Overshot and pushes the hay onto the wooden arms of the overshot.

According to AJ this hay rake had been in his family for many, many years...He and his friends rebuilt all the wood pieces and used almost all of the metal from the original one and made this hay rake. It really is cool to see in use how ingenious ranchers/farmers are and how they progressed in making implements before tractors were around.

Hay Rake being pushed via the two Spotted Drafts

DSC_0537.JPG
    Backside of the hay rake with the Tetons and Yellowstone just over that mountain. PS The temps go to 50 degrees BELOW Zero in the winter here in Victor, Idaho.

DSC_0552.JPG
    Collecting tines on the hay fork. With older wood tines on the Overshot.

DSC_0564.JPG DSC_0565.JPG DSC_0577.JPG

11. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

They are loading the overshot with the raked hay. Two hard pushes can dislodge the hay onto the overshot and a quick back-up frees most of the hay from the rakes tines.

DSC_0584.JPG DSC_0586.JPG DSC_0587.JPG DSC_0588.JPG

DRider likes this.
  12. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

Here is a teamster (A man/woman with the lines attached to the horses) plus closer pictures of the tines on the hay fork.

DSC_0581.JPG DSC_0592.JPG DSC_0593.JPG DSC_0598.JPG

13. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

A hay rake moves the hay to the Overshot, the Brabants in the picture actual pull a cable to the left side of the overshot up into the air where the hay can be dropped close or further back depending on the speed of horses pulling to make round hay stacks. The man up on the hay stack forks the hay around to flatten it up and allow more hay on the stack.

The stack sheds rain water and can be left as it is as long as the person stacking does it correctly.

DSC_0596.JPG DSC_0648.JPG DSC_0686.JPG DSC_0687.JPG DSC_0703.JPG

DRider likes this.
  14. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

Here the horse is attached via the traces/tugs (long leather with metal at ends) to the single tree and as the horse (brand new at all of this) goes round and round the hand saw cuts the log. After each entire cut the mechanism holding the saw blade and "holder" are removed from the log and moved back some to be hammered into a new area to cut the log into wood for use.

The horse steps over this metal tube each time and is once trained taught to walk in the circle by itself but this was her first time doing this so Norman (red suspenders) walked behind and in front guiding her.

DSC_0611.JPG DSC_0616.JPG DSC_0617.JPG DSC_0621.JPG
    Yhe saw has two speeds depending on which place the lower gear is attached. Slow is SLOW but the faster gear cuts in record time.

DRider likes this.
  15. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

Horse drawn (okay it does not move down the field) baler. After pushing cut hay to the baler the hay is pushed into the baler opening by a person or two with hay forks and the horse walks in circles to crush down the hay into hay bales. The wood slats are placed into the baling machine to allow metal hay baling wire (now twine is normally used on tractor run balers) you then "thread" via a metal stick with a hole the wire on the inside of each bale to the other side and make a loop of wire to attach the backside of the wire. As each rotation of the horse squeezes the hay tighter the bales become tighter and pop out the end to be picked up via a horse drawn wagon and stacked in a barn or a stack near a feeding area.

In the older days the metal wire was sold with loops in them already but no one uses metal wire to bale any longer. The wire was $85.00 for one box as I was told.

DSC_0626.JPG

DSC_0628.JPG

DSC_0629.JPG

DSC_0630.JPG

DSC_0633.JPG

16. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

Here is a homemade PTO tractor attachment for pulling a baler. The baler runs via the PTO (no engine just turns from the horses pulling the tractor back-end) so as the baler goes down the windrows it picks up the cut hay and the movement pushes the hay into the baler and it bales (with twine) and the bales pop out the back end. In this case the hay was thicker in places in the windrows and clogged the baler. Also a four-up of horses should have been pulling this heavier piece of equipment to allow it to work better.

It is pretty darned cool to watch though!

DSC_0656.JPG DSC_0666.JPG DSC_0667.JPG DSC_0694.JPG

DRider likes this.
  17. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

DSC_0672.JPG

How hay gets there.

DSC_0673.JPG

Overshot sending the cut hay up to the stack via horse pulling power.DSC_0686.JPG
    Mower or sickle mower cutting hay which will sit out for a few days to dry up and then be gathered via the hay rake.

DSC_0691.JPG DSC_0692.JPG

DRider likes this.
  18. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

Drove home and changed my oil and prepared for another adventure! I looked and looked and a few months back I finally found my event! It happens to be an all women's tractor driving class (I was on the wagon train for the mixed class). So I signed my daughters and I up for this one day tractor driving class and headed to Oregon!

Right after the safety video was identify the parts numbered. I knew some of them on this $90,000.00 tractor but not all of them. Derek is our instructor.

DSC_0021.JPG
    Derek asked us "Do you want to drive alone or have me ride along?" DUH! A ninety thousand dollar tractor ...PLEASE Derek hop in!
    DSC_0030.JPG
    On this smaller tractor we learned how to hook and unhook the 3 point hitch and the PTO Power Take Off attachment. This young man is an employee and just learning how trators work also.
    DSC_0109.JPG

The tractor crushed the pallet when a gal drove a bit too far back on this Go forward and around the cone and back up to the pallet and remove the attached equipment exercise. Everyone had to do it pretty much all alone.
    DSC_0127.JPG

DRider likes this.
  19. momagna

momagna BLM EPA SUCK

OMG I want a tractor!

Here we learned how to dig in just a little bit and scoop up gravel drive in reverse and return the gravel to the pile. The smiles tell it all!

DSC_0134.JPG DSC_0142.JPG DSC_0147.JPG DSC_0156.JPG DSC_0165.JPG

Rex likes this.
  20. shutterbug

shutterbug Registered Lurker

Name:
    Carrie
    Thanks for sharing your adventures, Dee.

I'm glad you got a chance to learn to drive a tractor. They're great pieces of equipment. After 32 years, the novelty has worn off for me, but there are days where it's a nice mental break to go out and work on the tractor. And, it's always great to see the excitement of people who want to learn to drive a tractor when they get a chance to do so. :cool My fiance was stoked when I taught him how to drive the tractor and use it to mow. I'm hoping he doesn't lose his enthusiasm for that activity anytime soon. :smilewink

momagna likes this.