Looking for options to eliminate helmet weight on neck

Discussion in 'Gear and Accessories' started by Brian300, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Brian300

Brian300 Disgruntle Dirt Biker

Name:
    Brian
    I'm currently looking for options to reduce the amount of weight a full face helmet puts on the neck due to some issues I have with my bulging neck disk.

I want to be able to ride 6-10 hours on the road again without being in pain. Currently I can only ride 30 minutes before the flare ups begin. The windscreen on my GSA provides ample amount of wind protection so I am good here.

I have been looking at a lighter helmet. My Arai full face weight 3.75 lbs.

I have also been looking into automobile racing equipment such as a neck roll and a different restraint system. Such as these. I don't know if they will work or not.

Basically anything to reduce the amount of weight the helmet puts on my neck.

I'm open to advice. Thanks..

IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3262.JPG

IMG_3264.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

2. Andy

Andy Wheelie for Safety

Name:
    Andy
  3. NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied James Lucier

Name:
    James
    Can you use traction to fix the disk problem?

4. Brian300

Name:
    Brian
    Thanks Andy

5. Brian300

Name:
    Brian
    I'm going to try to order a traction device on Amazon since Kaiser P/T's are giving me the run around. I'm going to dump Kaiser during open enrollment

6. NeverSatisfied

Name:
    James
    I got Therapy for years for what turned out to be 4 herniated disks. Docs and surgeons would not do anything. My chiropractor fixed all the herniated ones with a machine that stretches the lumbar area. Very expensive.
    When my mom was tossed out of a rolling car she spent some weeks with something like this

http://www.bettymills.com/cervical-traction-kit-overdoor-dmi-one-size-fits-most-534-2014-0000

And it worked well for her neck injury. In her day the weight was just a couple or three clay fired bricks, otherwise it looks the same..

7. Brian300

Name:
    Brian
    Thanks James:thumbup

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I suspect its not the helmet weight Brian, rather it is an aerodynamic load on the helmet while underway. Dauntingly, there is no easy test for a "fix", as there are several variables; helmet model, rider height above seat, aerodynamics of the frontal area of the bike, windshield height/width and most importantly- the flow of air around windshield and how it interacts with the helmet profile. I've had helmets that "lift" at speed- a lot- pulling the chin strap really tight kinda lift. Others that were great unless I turn my head slightly- destroying the smooth (laminar) flow over the helmet's shape. It could also be shock loads of bouncing down our California roads- every bump is a compression, every landing after a hump is another.

What is easy to test is the helmet you already have. You said you have discomfort after 30 minutes- I'd sit in a chair with it on and start the clock, just to verify a bit if it is the helmet weight. This won't solve "what next", but will confirm or deny your suspicion of this helmet. I just have some trouble with a pound or two making the difference, and not a 3g smack on H85 @ H101 NB.

You can also fiddle with the windshield- see if that helps. The current Multistrada thinking is the smallest "Pike's Peak" windshield provides the littlest buffeting and wind noise of any factory or aftermarket windshield. Whouldathunk, intuition would lead one to get a taller and wider one for "protection"- but not so. I'm curious to see what fiddling will illustrate, good luck.

Andy and Brian300 like this.
  9. Brian300

Name:
    Brian
    I do have one of those plastic lids left over from my Harley days years ago. It probably weights 1 pound. I suppose I could put that on and go my a long ride and adjust the windscreen up or down since it is fully adjustable. It sure would look funny wearing one of those on the GSA.

IMG_2437.JPG

10. afmoto

afmoto working on quality laps around the sun

Name:
    Alex
    NeverSatisfied likes this.
  11. afmoto

afmoto working on quality laps around the sun

Name:
    Alex
    I'm not a doctor but I suspect the problem is not with the helmet, it's with the neck disk. My guess is that you would have pain even if you didn't wear a helmet, so maybe talk to your doctor because your best course of action in the short term might be to take a break from riding. Good luck man, I feel your pain... literally! :smilewink

12. Andrew

Andrew This Land is Your Land

Name:
    Andrew
    Long ago, when I was regularly commuting from Europe to the bay area, I would get off the plane, grab a rental car and stop at Body Kneads on San Antonio in Mountain view before I even went to the hotel.

There was a Japanese masseur there who would hold my head under the chin and by the back of the neck then bodily lift me off the ground and let me hang, then super gently rock my head side to side.

Best. Massage. Ever.

He quit, never to be heard from again, but my point is that I really believe in the suspension thing for neck ailments, maybe even for good health in general.

13. Alanrider7

Alanrider7 Sportbike Whisperer

Inversion table for the win.

4strokerider likes this.
  14. Brian300

Name:
    Brian
    I can't use an Inversion table due to my high blood pressure and high blood pressure pills I take on a daily basis.

I found this out today at the Back Store on Stevenscreek.

"When you are upside-down on an inversion table, your heart rate slows and your blood pressure increases. This puts a great deal of stress on the circulatory system, which can be especially problematic if you already have high blood pressure, hypertension, or are taking blood thinners. Using an inversion table while you have high blood pressure, hypertension, or are taking blood thinners can be very dangerous and should be avoided."

15. NeverSatisfied

Name:
    James
    Inversion table for the stroke, if you're like me. Vessels in the head are stressed unusually.
    The idea behind traction treatments, I was told, is to counter the tight pull of spinal tendons /muscles for short periods to allow a disk ( or disks) to fill with fluid because the support muscles on your spine are ( necessarily) pressing them down to save you.
    Disks are tough and 'want' to hold their natural shape if given the opportunity.
    Mine were bulging and painful for many years, and came back to normal in a few separate treatments ( like 3 or 4 visits). The stretch was held for a minute, relaxed for 20 seconds, held for a minute, relaxed again for maybe 20 times per session.
    If a disk is crushed, it won't come back. The chiro. was able to mitigate the pressure on the psiatic nerve though. I just have to hang it out once in a while.

16. NeverSatisfied

Name:
    James
    If you're going to try this on your own I urge caution! Use small weight and do a full 20-30 minute session at a time , if it doesn't help, add a few lbs next session after you wait a day and see how it feels.
    It's dangerous to screw around with your small neck vertibrea- or even your very strong lumbar region and I'm guessing that's why nobody helped me with it for 23 years- didn't want to be liable.

17. Racenut

Racenut Well-Known Member

Name:
    Shayne
    My wife has some neck issues as well. We tried a lightweight carbon helmet, but found that it's not so much the weight as it was the balance and aero. Find something that has a more rounded shape and doesn't do weird stuff in the wind, especially side twisting loads. She ended up with a Shoei RF1100. Stuff like modulars that tend to extend forward more, as well as the locking hardware make the helmet front heavy were the worst.

Brian300 likes this.