Pics from Sunday 8/14/2005 Doc Wong Riding Clinic

Discussion in 'Pictures' started by Mehran, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Mehran

Mehran GroupRides net

Name:
    Mehran
    Doc Wong's Pivot Steering clinic had a great turn-out today. Mark (Grot) has a nice write-up about the clinic at this link.

Here are some photos of our today's adventures :)

I like Harry's new suit.

A00.jpg

Knowing that Ducatis were not meant to be ridden two days in a row, Tom (Trumper) risked it all and rode today, following yesterday's Saturday ride (this dude lives on the edge :laughing)

A05.jpg

Our group, led by Doc Wong, took the usual route on 84 towards King Mountain

A06.jpg

I noticed the familiar Joe Burner ICON jacket in our group. The Saturday rides were too slow for Joe Burner, so he was on Doc Wong's spirited group and this time, in full flame :devil

J02.jpg

. . . . a work in progress

J03.jpg

He sent his regards to Budbandit :lol

Skyline and Tunitas, swarm of Mini's, the classic ones

A07.jpg

. . . and down we go

A08.jpg

A09.jpg

First stop at San Gregorio

B04.jpg

The word was there was a school of Squids in the area, so the Fish & Game Warden came to check it out for himself

B05.jpg

B06.jpg

B02.jpg

B10.jpg

The Warden had the right idea, but didn't look far enough for the squids :squid

C01.jpg

C02.jpg

C03.jpg

C04.jpg

C05.jpg

C06.jpg

C07.jpg

C08.jpg

C09.jpg

C10.jpg

C11.jpg

C12.jpg

C13.jpg

C14.jpg

C15.jpg

B11.jpg

Where else to stop for lunch but Davenport :laughing

D01.jpg

D02.jpg

D03.jpg

D04.jpg

D05.jpg

D06.jpg

D07.jpg

D08.jpg

D09.jpg

Tom felt cocky all day long and kept saying "I ride a Monster" .... "I'm #1 .... I'm # 1". I told him that he'd jinx himself if he kept that up. But did he listen? Noooooo.

X01.jpg

Lo and behold the Monster just died on him in Boulder Creek. He found a tow truck right there and paid them handsomely to tow his bike to a Duc Shop

X02.jpg

I followed the truck

X05.jpg

. . . . only to see it pull over to check the pressure cargo. All ok :thumbup

X03.jpg

There we go again ...

X06.jpg

X07.jpg

Left the Monster at the Duc Shop and headed back.

X08.jpg

In the mean time (back at 4 corners) all is well.

D10.jpg

Afterwards I took Tom to The Meditation Hill so that he could seek forgiveness for his cockiness and to ask the Gods to heal his sick Duc.

He is still there.

X10.jpg

I hope you enjoyed today's pictures :cool .

2. Andy

Andy Wheelie for Safety

Name:
    Andy
    :clapping :clapping :clapping

What a great thread Mehran. Your pictures are wonderful and I really appreciate all the effort you put into them to bring them to us to see,

Thanks. :thumbup

3. svreiter

svreiter Kurvenrauber

Name:
    Micha
    what cool photos!! :clapping I wanna ride there someday soon.
    Micha waves

4. Trumper

Trumper Eclectic Dilettante

Name:
    Tom
    Fun day!

Well, until the end in Boulder Creek anyway...I'll finish up the story when I have a diagnosis--thinking it's a timing shaft/belt/sensor issue of some sort--beyond anything I could hack out since I don't have one of those Mathesis diagnosis thingamajigs.

Lesson so far: get a &*$&@! cell phone. I hate 'em, but sometimes you just gotta have one.

Major props to Mehran for saving my butt....

And since we have a really nice set of pix of that hairpin on Stage road, I'll ask for a critique. How's my lean angle and body position on that turn? Doc is hanging way off (scroll up to see his pic)...some people are sitting bolt upright/perpendicular. The road is wet, so I didn't wanna go too far off.... Any critique welcome.

5. com3

com3 can highside a scooter

Name:
    Joe

doc's example is PERFECT. when it's wet like that, you want to hang off farther than you normally would, that way you can keep the bike more upright (less chance of slippage). you're BP is decent enough. i wouldn't say "perfect," but nor would i say "bad" by any means.

the guy on the GS's BP is a perfect example of "bad" for given conditions. the guy on the 500R had the right idea about looking through the turn....but i think he was looking a little too far.

again, doc is in the PERFECT position for the most manuverability/agility/safety for given conditions on that given corner.

6. DocWong

DocWong Doc Wong Riding Clinics

Name:
    Doc or Harry
    Your body position looks fine in the turn with the centerline of your chest on the inside of the centerline of the bike. Also in this turn your bike is not leaned over much, so more leaning is not really necessary. I can't see your inside elbow, but if it's pointing down and bent, that'd be ideal.

In this corner, I wanted to keep my bike as upright as possible since it was wet and I wanted to minimize my lean angle.

Ride well!

Doc Wong
    www.docwong.com
    Active Life Medical Center
    Chiropractic and Natural Medicine
    1391 Woodside Road, Redwood City
    ----------------------------------------
    To get the latest announcements on my Riding Clinics subscribe to the Doc-Ride Mail-list! Go to:* http://www.micapeak.com/lists/doc-ride

7. com3

Name:
    Joe
    PS - did it rain over there? or did you guys just hose down the roads to have this wet-riding clinic? :smilewink it's been hot and sunny over there for about a month straight.

8. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joshua
    It was wet this weekend. At the 250 ride we had water spots on on Grizzly Peak.

9. Mehran

Mehran GroupRides net

Name:
    Mehran
    It was damp in the morning.

But it was a winter storm as far as Tom was concerned :laughing

10. gmlight

gmlight Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg
    Great photos, Mehran!

Mehran is one guy you can count on in a jam for sure!:rad :rad :rad

p.s. Mehran and Tom, you make a great looking couple.:twofinger :runaway

11. Grot

Grot Mark

Name:
    Mark
    Your right about that position and the photo sure shows it. I was dragging my boot round some of those corners, the dry ones, and understand the issue now. I will freely admit that I know squat about going round these corners and the position I need to take that doesnt involve sitting square in the seat.

Another Doc Wong clinic coming up.

12. rags

rags Well-Known Member

Name:
    Raghu
    great pics and a cool story Mehran :clapping

13. scratch

scratch I know how to go limp

Name:
    Tim
    Great ride! Beautiful, clear pictures!

Am I the one on the 500R?

My body position isn't too great either, but as I remember going through that turn:
    1. I wasn't going fast enough (I was the sweep, not to mention I'm slow anyways).
    2. I already had my line planned.
    3. I didn't want to look at either of the photographers (Trumper was further up on the outside of the turn), I wanted to pay attention to the road.

I am photographed further up the turn than everybody else.

14. com3

Name:
    Joe
    ah, yeah..it's a GS500, my bad. :) i wasn't trying to disrespect by any means. as i mentioned, you've got the right idea. it's best to look all the way through the turn. however, going through a left-hand 180+ degree turn (which it looks to be the case on this pic...maybe a 210 degree overall), you have to compromise a little bit. otherwise, you'll have your head craned all the way around (like exorcist), which could lead to OVER turning, and bring you into the opposing lane. not only that, but you can't see anything in front of your bike or to the right either. could be pink elephants belly dancing to your right, and you'd never see it.

that's just my thoughts, at least. someone else's style may be completely different.

15. scratch

scratch I know how to go limp

Name:
    Tim
    It's cool, no worries! Thanks for the input!

I had already scanned the turn for errant pink elephants. But, as usual, I would have missed a good show if they were dancing.:bounce

16. Trumper

Name:
    Tom
    Well,

here's the scoop on the Monster.

The throttle body had worked loose from the rubber boot that holds it to the cylinder! Gaaah!

I spend about an hour going over everything looking for loose connections, inspecting coils, checking plugs, connections...everything I could think of. But apparently it had worked loose just enough that it was just sucking air but I couldn't see it.

So lesson: be even more meticulous checking bolts, nuts, clamps, etc.

Nice too that this wasn't some broken Duc issue--the Monster has always run like a top and it's almost a relief that it was something simple like that....

17. com3

Name:
    Joe

so you fixed it then? free?

18. Trumper

Name:
    Tom
    Yeah,

free. Under warranty. Sync'd too. :biggrin

19. com3